What kind of snail is this?

Flavoi1

I recently set up my first tank. With the plants I used there came a few hitch hikers with them. 

Can someone tell me what kind of snail these are and if it's a good idea to keep a few of them in the tank? I intended to add some rams or narite snails anyway but since I got some "free" snails... 

Just want to be sure that these aren't some kind of massive hassle down the ro ad. 

IMG_20201203_182519.jpg

IMG_20201203_182416.jpg

Edited by Flavoi1

I want to say thats a bladder snail due to the yellow spots. They dont get huge but they will breed to the food source avaliable and breed quickly. Some people hate them but they are good at tending plants.

Edited by Marnol D
  • Thanks 1

I'd agree, looks like a bladder snail.  Common snail found on plants that you order.  You will get an answer from different people on whether you should keep it or not.  It basically comes down to aesthetics.  These guys will breed a lot (depending on available food) and once established you probably won't be able to get rid of them. They are beneficial to the aquarium and to the plants  so it just comes down to whether you want to look at them or not.  I think they're awesome but I did pluck them from my main 75gallon and put them into a 10 gallon because I didn't want them all over the place in that specific tank.  If you want snails that do not breed (in a standard freshwater tank) then a Nerite snail may be more what you're looking for if you'd like to keep snails.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...