3 minutes ago, lefty o said:

water is the first concern. cpd's are sort of shy, and do better imo in groups of 10 or more.

not sure if it makes a difference but his tank has plenty of hiding places

also i know he hasn't posted a picture but we know each other irl

Edited by quirkylemon103

I keep a reasonably sized school of CPD's (18) in a tank with a bunch of Blue Dream shrimp and they are still very shy. I have a relatively heavily planted 9 gallon shallow tank (pic attached; apologies for its messy state... it is past maintenance time) and they will be out a lot when I am right beside the aquarium, but as soon as I get within a few feet they hide and only very slowly come back out. They are healthy but I haven't been able to make them gregarious. In a larger tank, I imagine dithers would help? 

unnamed-4.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScruffyLookingFishHerder said:

Hello! Happy to be here. I'm a pretty new fish keeper, or whatever the term might be, but have enjoyed my 10 gallon tank with CPDs. I had a few die but two have been resilient. Any suggestions on keeping them alive and happy? I probably need to get more to really school them. 

can you test your water?

• 2 months later...

I've been considering these fish. So, if I see them mentioned, I read about them. Maybe others will chime in with their real life experiences. Until then, here's what I have read. 

There appears to be a connection between the success rate and the source of the fish. I've read reports of experienced fishkeepers having major die offs of their CPDs from their local stores, and other reports of zero deaths with fish sourced from Aqua Huna. This is very anecdotal, though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Frank said:

I've been considering these fish. So, if I see them mentioned, I read about them. Maybe others will chime in with their real life experiences. Until then, here's what I have read. 

There appears to be a connection between the success rate and the source of the fish. I've read reports of experienced fishkeepers having major die offs of their CPDs from their local stores, and other reports of zero deaths with fish sourced from Aqua Huna. This is very anecdotal, though.

Good to know! The place I bought mine seems pretty reliable all around. This is my first go at really taking care of fish so I might just have some inexperience and I'm figuring out the right rhythms for a tank like this. Appreciate your thoughts! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScruffyLookingFishHerder said:

Good to know! The place I bought mine seems pretty reliable all around. This is my first go at really taking care of fish so I might just have some inexperience and I'm figuring out the right rhythms for a tank like this. Appreciate your thoughts! 

Oops! Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that your store might be to blame. They are probably getting their fish from somewhere else.

In my case, I'm not especially impressed by my local store. But, I wouldn't be worried about getting CPDs from them. Because, they get their fish from the wholesale branch of Aqua Huna. I would just ask them to keep them in the bag, until I picked them up.

If you look at Aqua Huna's CPD page, you'll see: "Note:  Our Galaxy Rasbora are quarantined for 5 extra days."

I have to believe that they do that for a reason.

Edited by Frank

I have about 30 of these. These fish are hard to figure out, they can be pretty hardy and then all of a sudden one will get a random condition either with their swimming or some disease. Since they are all in the same water it's really hard to figure out. I'm not sure if they are getting injured or over eating or that particular fish just has a weaker immune system.  I think these are one of the fish that needs a decently planted area of the tank and clean water.

• Like 1