betta mates did i mess up

ozzie1221

I've had a betta for two weeks by himself in a 10 gallon and i wanted to get him some tankmates. I chose the Chilli Rasbora and the Pygmy cory i bought 10 rasboras and 5 corys and he stareted to nip them i seperated them does this mean he cant be with them?

Some bettas don't want tankmates, some tolerate them. I've had one that would bite antennae off of snails and my current male is extremely laid back. It's very inconsistent. Usually when setting up a tank with several species I add the most aggressive fish (in this case, the betta) last because it prevents them from establishing a territory.

If you have a hospital/QT tank I'd suggest that you maybe move him in there for a week and let the other fish get established in the environment before adding him back. It may help the situation, but won't always fix it. Irene has a video on keeping bettas with other fish and has a similar strategy. 

I tried putting my Betta in a planted 15 gallon tank, which had 11 harlequin rasboras and 5 assassin snails. He hid under the rocks and didn’t come out to eat. He was so scared of those fish, but he started to attack my assassin snails. Bettas are unpredictable. Now he’s in a 5 gallon by himself.

I have 1 betta and I've actually had problems with his neon tetra tank mates nipping him so I moved him back out of the community tank. I'm going to try increasing my tetra school size and adding the betta back in to see if it can work out because increasing school size has worked to lower tetra aggression for me in the past.