Centerpiece fish?

Phinny

I have a planted 10 gal tank with 11 cherry barbs, 1 gold zebra danio, 1 otocinclus, 2 kuhli loaches. My children have shown interest in assigning names to the fish but that's only possible for the danio and oto right now. I'm looking to add a centerpiece fish (or two) that my children can name, preferably something that will occupy the top/middle of the tank. So far I've come up with dwarf gouramis and possibly bettas. Any thoughts or suggestions?

maybe a couple of different colored balloon mollies? Preferably all male or female. alternatively a couple of male guppies/endlers. The danio and the rams want different temperatures, and the rams hang in the bottom of my tank mostly, but they do have big personalities, and are beautiful.

• Like 2

yes, as @Brandymentiond the rams do like their warm water, so if you wanted to do rams, you would want the tempeture at least 80F maybe 82F Most of these fish except the danios can thrive at 82. Which is why I reccemoned the temp at 80, this way all of the fish are thrving. Yes, Mollies/ Platys/ Guppies would also make a great centerpeice fish. You could also do one male swordtail, they are a bit agressive so they would be the boss of the tank. But there not too agressive.

• Like 1

In a ten gallon with barbs and danios I would do more danios. Glo-varieties are very flashy, if you are ok with genetically modified fish. Leopard danios are very pretty miniature trouts. Longfin danios of any type are awesome and they look quite big. 

• Like 1

I mean that already an extremely heavily stocked tank in my opinion. Personally I'd get another tank and rehome the danio and either the oto or loaches so that I can get larger groups of all three since they all prefer being in groups. Then I'd maybe get a gourami or betta for each of the tanks. 

• Like 2