Does NERM actually stand for anything?

Levi_Aquatics

A NERM is the blending of the words "Normal" and "Nerd", which @Cory adlibbed off the cuff in a livestream. I think it is intended meant to apply to folks who are very nerdy about their aquarium hobby, but fairly "normal" otherwise.

I've been working on an acronym proposal for awhile. So far I've got:

Normal, Except Really Manic about something. Which makes me a fish Nerm! And a Star Wars Nerm!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

I've been working on an acronym proposal for awhile. So far I've got:

Normal, Except Really Manic about something. Which makes me a fish Nerm! And a Star Wars Nerm!

Best acronym I have heard yet on this. Now if we can only get the Oxford English Dictionary to pick this up.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:48 AM, FishObsessed said:

Something I was thinking about yesterday actually. Nerd+aquariuM=nerm? 

But wait....is that video of cory really where it started? 

That's what I thought the first couple of months until that video of Cory accidentally saying it.

• Like 1

Cory meant to say "scientific term" but he was describing how nerdy people can be, going along with someone when they make up a term on the spot. I'm guessing he was a bit tired, nearing the end of a long livestream, and so he said "That's the new scientific nerm for" . . . "Wait, did I just say 'scientific nerd'?" 

TERM + NERD = NERM

But since then, it has become just sooooo much more . . . 

• Like 2

@Fish Folk I know I was totally watching this particular stream but I don't remember which one it was! Do you??? (or anyone else?)
I love this term/word so much, {and apparently have said it enough times}, that my 11 year old daughter has used it.
Last Friday in science class, she described me (and my aquarium/fish obsession) to her classmates, and in the description called me a "Super NERM"! 😂🤣

*my 11 yr old is a fellow NERM in training!
😱😱!! She's a NERMiT!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TifNee837 said:

was totally watching this particular stream but I don't remember which one it was!

Cory was answering a question on livestream ... and threw out a term “algael growth” ... questioned whether it was a real term ... then parenthetically commented that if he’d just gone with it, everyone would have agreed it was a thing ... kind of implying the “nerdiness” of people ... and somehow nerd+term got bungled into “scientific nerm.” Go to Timestamp 1 hr 50 mins:

• Like 4

And I have to mention this because I found it hilarious -

When I showed my daughter my previous conment a little bit ago, she then had to be sure and send her science teacher a message ((who is also a fellow nerm! Woo-hoo!)) to inform her, that she now will be considering herself a #nermit 😂🤣

GOSH I love that kid hahaha

• Haha 2