Received some new plants and they had some hitchhikers, bladder snails. These are in my new, still cycling tank. I have been removing and squishing. But thought, would these be ok as a tasty treat for my fish in my established tank? Can they get parasites from eating these? I would squish them first, so not live. 

What kind of fish are you planning on? Only fish that I know of that would eat a whole, live snail are puffers and some loaches, or an assassin snail, but there may be other hardcore toothy carnivores out there. Otherwise, betta and such might just nip at them.

I say no need to squish, just feed your fish sparingly and the snails will starve/fail to reproduce effectively or eat your algae for you.

Edited by Kirsten
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

What kind of fish are you planning on? Only fish that I know of that would eat a whole, live snail are puffers and some loaches, or an assassin snail, but there may be other hardcore toothy carnivores out there. Otherwise, betta and such might just nip at them.

I say no need to squish, just feed your fish sparingly and the snails will starve/fail to reproduce effectively or eat your algae for you.

Oh. I was thinking of feeding them to my tank of rainbowfish, tetras. I have not yet added fish to the new tank. Just thought my omnivores might like a tasty treat, but they would need them shelled, lol. 

I tried to get my clown loach to eat the bladder snails in my 10 gal QT tank and no luck.  So far none of my fish including my bettas eat them either.  I have quit trying to get rid of them at this point, but I know they eat French cut green beans.  You could always trying making a snail trap with veggies out of a used bottle if your fish do not eat them.

• 2 weeks later...