Project "SUBARU": Installation of SIX 15-gallon planters as nano-ponds

Aww, thanks Daniel! Wish I had more time to be more present here! In the last year I've learned some more things about cool tools, tiny tanks, time management over multiple tanks, and even 3D printing, and I hope to contribute in the near future! Just gotta carve out the time...

• Like 2

@Bill Smith definitely set the tone for high end DIY!! It encouraged me to try more things and I have loved using his ideas as my MTS has advanced...I am grateful for the post-mortem, as I hope to have an outdoor pond set up perhaps this fall, or maybe next year.

Guppies will be on the list, and platies also seem like a fantastic idea, but my ultimate goal is a year round white cloud and cherry shrimp pond, where I have been secretly dreaming of working with @WhitecloudDynasty's long finned golds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brandy said:

@Bill Smith definitely set the tone for high end DIY!! It encouraged me to try more things and I have loved using his ideas as my MTS has advanced...I am grateful for the post-mortem, as I hope to have an outdoor pond set up perhaps this fall, or maybe next year.

Guppies will be on the list, and platies also seem like a fantastic idea, but my ultimate goal is a year round white cloud and cherry shrimp pond, where I have been secretly dreaming of working with @WhitecloudDynasty's long finned golds. 

Thank you for the kind words. I will try to live up to the hype. 😉

I forgot to mention, I have long-finned gold white clouds in my 100g Rubbermaid stock tank, and I LOVE them. They stand out against the murk of the pond during the day, they grow HUGE if you auto-feed them, and they even developed a little rich reddish color in some of the bigger ones. I highly recommend those guys!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

As we think about the upcoming anniversary one of the main posters who carried the forum for the first couple of months was the always helpful and always kind @Bill Smith, (member number 105). He published several ongoing journal/articles including the famous Pex Pillar, The Solar Powered USB Nano Pump, and many more (including Project Subaru above).

Plus he also managed to put those fancy Aquarium Co-Op guys in their places by winning the first few days on the forum.

image.png.632b4237a11dd58dbcf9e66c67987f03.png

I just found this thread. OMG, I loved these planter tubs! I will need to consider lights this summer. Thanks @Bill Smith for sharing such awesome photos! 🥰

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

If you are willing to work with them and cull hard I can send you some.

I haven't release mine into the market cause I'm not fully happy with them yet. I want a family of fish I can be proud off. The more people working with them the better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update and insight Bill!  I’m hoping that by only having one small pond to deal with and stocking heavy plants/light on fish I can avoid getting burnt out working on it.  That was a great idea on the airline tubing to keep open water! 

• Thanks 1