How many sponge filters for 75g?

umfalcon

Hello everyone,

I am just about to get two 75 gallon tanks up and running and I have a question about how many sponge filters to run in each tank. I was thinking two of Aquarium Coop's large size sponge filters. I decided on this number because the large filters are rated for 40 gallons, so I figured two would cover a 75g.

On a related note, do you think the nano airpumps the COOP sells are powerful enough to power the large size sponge filter?

Thanks for any advice/help you all can provide on what are probably noob questions.

I just had the same issue in a my two new 75 gallon aquariums and decided one was plenty.

I had a large one sitting around, but I think one medium one would have worked just a well. There are not chunks of matter just floating around in the aquarium for the sponge to mechanically take out, so what does a sponge filter do? It is a home for bacteria that process nitrogen and a medium one does that just a well as a larger one. The amount of the bacteria is not controlled by the size of the sponge, it is controlled by the amount of food the fish give it.

But the number one home for bacteria and by far and away the biggest most important filter in the aquarium are the plants.

The sponge filter is just a fancy airstone 🙂.

IMG_3005.JPG.8a251f3c438a9205d8d637d90a55b659.JPG

Filter 'ratings' are over-rated...

• Like 4

Thanks for the informative and quick reply. I appreciate your advice. Also, your angels look great. While you are here, let me ask you this: what lights do you run? I was going to buy the Finnex Stingray LED Lights that the COOP sells, but I want to make sure it can grow things like Amazon swords, Java Fern, Water Wisteria...I'm sure they do, otherwise Cory wouldn't sell them, but it reassures me when other aquarists give their opinion. 

Edited by umfalcon
typos

5 hours ago, umfalcon said:

Thanks for the informative and quick reply. I appreciate your advice. Also, your angels look great. While you are here, let me ask you this: what lights do you run? I was going to buy the Finnex Stingray LED Lights that the COOP sells, but I want to make sure it can grow things like Amazon swords, Java Fern, Water Wisteria.

I bought a total of four 48" Finnex Stingrays for the two new 75 gallons aquariums that should arrive today. I thought about other more powerful more and expensive lighting, but heh even for me ultimately there is such a thing as a budget.

My thinking was, for $160 per tank the Finnex Stingrays will give me durable, attractive lighting that will get the job done. So that seemed like the most reasonable path for the lighting. It is not the only way to go, but it is a reasonable way to go.

1 minute ago, umfalcon said:

So two 48in lights per 75g. Why did you pick two over one?

Just a seat of the pants guess on the amount of light it would take to reach the 21" depth of a 75 gallon. If this is more than needed, I can always use the light elsewhere.

But it is only a guess. I will measure it when the lights get here now that you mention it.

12 minutes ago, umfalcon said:

Oh! Do you think the nano airpumps are enough to run a medium/large sponge filter, or should I go and get a Tetra Whisper?

I am am running mine off a Tetra Whisper because that was the spare air pump that I had on hand. But thanks to your question I just hooked up a USB Nano pump and much to my surprise it works fine.

That's a lesson right there. Don't believe someone just because they sound like they know what they are talking about (especially me). Believe someone if they have actually personally tried something and can say, 'I tried this and this is the result I obtained'.

Even results can be suspect so never give up being skeptical.

Once again, I learned something new on the forum today!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I am am running mine off a Tetra Whisper because that was the spare air pump that I had on hand. But thanks to your question I just hooked up a USB Nano pump and much to my surprise it works fine.

That's a lesson right there. Don't believe someone just because they sound like they know what they are talking about (especially me). Believe someone if they have actually personally tried something and can say, 'I tried this and this is the result I obtained'.

5 minutes ago, umfalcon said:

Thanks for testing it out!  So you are definitely getting enough output then?

I have had a USB air pump fail in under 6 months in a deeper 29g. It gave great pressure initially, but then started making noise and dramatically decreased its output. Clearly a damaged diaphragm. It is the only one out of the 5 I run.

Continuous use at deeper depths MIGHT impact pump longevity. Or I may have gotten one lemon-- n=5 is too small of a sample size to be sure. At $9/ea it is worth the risk, and I have a backup handy.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, umfalcon said:

Thanks for testing it out!  So you are definitely getting enough output then?

Yes, enough is the best description. Not too much, not too little.

Also @Brandy advice (and her experience above) is food for thought:

2 minutes ago, Brandy said:

At $9/ea it is worth the risk, and I have a backup handy.

I think I could get away with plants as my only filters in most of my tanks, but I also like to move water. The Co-Op sponge filters are good at moving water, and provide generous surface area even if you have tons of plants. Shrimp and Otocinclus also love to graze on foam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Y said:

Interesting post!   My dream is to get a 100G or 75G tank for discus. It won’t happen for a long time but I’ve already been thinking about filtration options and the sponge filter question is a good one. 

Thanks. Yeah, try to keep an eye out for tank sales. I picked up two 75g at Petco for $105 each. It was too good to pass up. Good luck with your future discuss tank. Any particular discuss strains you plan on keeping?

1 hour ago, Streetwise said:

I think I could get away with plants as my only filters in most of my tanks, but I also like to move water. The Co-Op sponge filters are good at moving water, and provide generous surface area even if you have tons of plants. Shrimp and Otocinclus also love to graze on foam.

Cool. I picked up a few Co-Op sponge filters. How many tanks do you have and what fish do you like to keep?

I run 2 medium sponge filters on the USB air pumps on a 40 breeder. Probably overkill, but I used the same logic you used. They are rated for 20 gallons, so get 2. Been running since September with no issues. I do have a spare pump i can use if one fails. Really for a backup for my son's betta tank if his HOB fails or we have a power outage.

I keep two large ones in my 55, I have a pretty large bio load so I want a lot of oxygen and bacteria. Plus I can always use one to set up another tank quickly. It also allows me to clean one while the other one retains all its bacteria. It's also decently planted. One regular air pump can run both and more, why do you want to use the nanos?

7 hours ago, Marc said:

I keep two large ones in my 55, I have a pretty large bio load so I want a lot of oxygen and bacteria. Plus I can always use one to set up another tank quickly. It also allows me to clean one while the other one retains all its bacteria. It's also decently planted. One regular air pump can run both and more, why do you want to use the nanos?

IDK, they just seem kind of cool. I ultimately went with some Tera Whisper pumps rated for up to 100g since my two new tanks are 75g.

7 hours ago, Marc said:

One regular air pump can run both and more, why do you want to use the nanos?

One reason to use USB nano air pumps is they your best friends during power outages. You can power them from any USB outlet and they draw very little power. Basically they are little tiny but valuable insurance policies when your power goes out priced at $9.99.

• Like 1

I like the idea of using the USB air pumps as an emergency filter using a power bank during power outages. I've never really trusted them as a full time air pump, but as an emergency or transport air pump they make some more sense. I may have to pick up a few. As for how many sponge filters in a 75 gallon tank, I'm an over-filtering kind of aquarist. More is better to me. I have at least two filters on every tank. Typically one sponge filter and either a HOB or canister. I just feel more comfortable with more filtration.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gardenman said:

I'm an over-filtering kind of aquarist. More is better to me. I have at least two filters on every tank. Typically one sponge filter and either a HOB or canister. I just feel more comfortable with more filtration.

It is funny...I am just the opposite, less is better. I am an under-filtration sort of guy. If you hold a gun to my head, I will reluctantly put one filter in a aquarium.🙂

I just counted up by gallons

• 720 total gallons - no filters
  • 270 total gallons - 5 sponge filters