Jehmco needle valve AV4 not available for auto water change system — alternatives?

Robert1361

You might want to look into drip irrigation supplies for gardens. You can buy drip emitters that will slowly drip water into your tanks. Be forewarned that they aren't always as precise as they claim to be. You'll want to test the real world flow rate yourself. Some are adjustable from 0-10 gallons per hour while others come preset for a specific flow rater (more or less.) Drip irrigation systems are pretty easy to adapt to aquarium water change systems. If your tanks have an overflow you can leave them running pretty much nonstop if you're using the 0.5 gallon per hour ones and you don't mind using 12 gallons a day per tank. You can get timers, filters, supply lines, pressure reducers and everything you need in some drip irrigation kits for a very small price. (Oddly enough even sites like Wish have some pretty comprehensive kits.)

If you look at drip emmitters, you also have to make sure your water line is pressurized to the correct degree. Most of them require you to be running at no higher than 30 - 40 psi. This is easily achieved with simple valve that is usually available inexpensively through most drip irrigation vendors.  

I use the 0.5, 1 and 2 gph emitters from DripWorks. Not sure their degree of accuracy, but they work in my applications. 

I use simple in-line solenoid valves plugged into simple plug-in timers to help regulate the drip duration.

• Like 1