Betta recovering, but something new?

MotorcycleBoy

So, our Midnight seems to be recovering well from fin rot (thanks to help and videos here). Getting color back and the fins appear to be healing. Then this evening I noticed this small white bump on its "chin" and the gills staying out a little. (Hard to see in the picture; you know how it is trying to get a good one.) Also seems to be staying at the top of the tank more - perhaps to breathe easier? Is this a concern? Something new? Part of the healing process? Not sure what to do here. Thoughts?

IMG_20201130_191815250~2.jpg

The "bump" on his chin may be a tumor. I don't know about the gills. (Maybe low oxygen in the water if they're breathing from the surface more than usual?). As for the new behavior I would just keep an eye on it to see what happens. (If he's gasping from the surface more often than usual that might be a sign of low dissolved oxygen.). Bettas as you probably know like the top third of the tank, although going around the entire tank wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I'd just keep an eye on the bump, see if it gets bigger or whatnot. Bettas can get pimples and tumors, but it's most likely nothing that needs immediate attention. The gills look pretty normal to me, sticking out like that. It just looks like the frill they like to flare with is relaxed. I'm not betta expert by any means, but the few I've kept often hold their gills that way. 

You might want to get yours a little leaf hammock to rest on. They like to just sit right under the surface and chill. Here's my guy using his - he uses it more and more as he gets older. You can get these hammocks at any big box store. 

PXL_20201130_172629281.jpg.7fd45652fb2cd13ddcd24a661d649423.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes, he has a leaf hammock and lots of real plants he likes to chill in, plus a floating betta log. The log is actually behind him in the picture. B this was in the quarantine tank. He's back in the regular tank and other than the bump seems to be doing well. His color is coming back and his fins continue to heal. I'm concerned that bump may be making eating difficult for him, but not sure what to do about that. Fingers crossed....

On 12/2/2020 at 10:37 AM, Farris Few said:

My Bets seems to have Tail Rot. I have a 3 partitioned tank with 3 Betas, only 1 has Tail Rot.  The tank is 12 Gallons.  I need to do the salt in the whole tank. 

What amount should I use to start.

Thanks for your help

I haven't used salt for that but there's lots of good info online about it. I followed Aquarium Co-Ops quarantine tank 3-medicine treatment plan. In hindsight, I should have just done a Maracyn treatment, and that's what they recommend for fin rot.