Co2 regulator anyone?

Matt Pike

I was given a  Milwaukee regulator with a tank. Had it about a year in the box finally ready to use it today and I see why it was given to me lol. Time for a new one. This is going on my 125 first time using co2 I have a 5lb tank. Can anyone recommend a co2 regulator that is good and wont break the bank. I was looking at these but I really dont want to spend this much.

https://greenleafaquariums.com/categories/co2-equipment/gla-co2-regulators.html

Thank you

20200728_175113.jpg

I've been using a green leaf GLA Pro regulator for a little over a year now, so far I'm not disappointed with the price tag but it'll take another couple of years for me to really know for sure if it was worth it, as of now though I see no reason to doubt that it will last even long than that. I would recommend green leaf stuff but it might not hurt to shop around

My experience is that you get what you pay for with regulators.  Milwaukee regulators are hard to adjust and prone to fail, in my experience.  It’s very difficult to keep your CO2 at a slow, consistent rate. They are also prone to End of tank dump where your tank turns into a soda fountain killing all of your fish.  Ask me how I know. 😔

There is an Aquarium Coop video on CO2 from a few years back, AquaTek is reccomended, 70$ for a premium one on Ebay,

https://www.ebay.com/p/26033930066?iid=230840786821&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=230840786821&targetid=915852593453&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9007198&poi=&campaignid=10454706458&mkgroupid=100467642621&rlsatarget=pla-915852593453&abcId=2146000&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntQ-0HMXP721w7kPPZikOJKgIGbd9iET_lfuHdgzWmMtRgBN078eFMMaAsBSEALw_wcB

Just picked one up, working pretty well.

Check it when it turns on for a few days after setting it up, if it is not pumping CO2 when it turns on i recommend keeping the needle valve where it is and increasing the pressure on it, i use around 60 psi.

Edited by MattyIce

I am also considering getting a GLA regulator, but I was considering getting the Gro CO2 regulator and not the pro as I can't seem to justify the extra 100 for the dual stage, but then again I don't know if the dual stage will save more money in the long run or something to justify it.

I’ve owned 2 GLA regulators. The first was one of their older model (new at the time) GRO-1 regulators that I bought about 5 years ago and sold a year later to fund a guitar restoration project. That regulator worked flawlessly the entire time I used it and the new owner never complained (sold it through another forum). The second one (PRO-1) has been in continuous use for the last 6 months and all I ever do is check the bubble counter fluid level and refill accordingly, which has only been once. Beautiful, great functioning, regulators that are worth the price if you can afford it. Yes, they are pricey, but Orlando will take care of any issues that may they occur. I’m really not trying to push a $300 co2 regulator on anyone. I do understand that that could be a car payment or a mortgage payment. Just, if you happen to get one, they work great and i don’t think you’d be disappointed. 

Having said that, those are my only experiences using any Co2 regulator. I wouldn’t hesitate to use any of GLA’s regulator offerings if you can afford them and they have the correct fitting for your co2 canister. Having said that again, to go off of what Streetwise said, on other forums there does seem to be a lot of praise for the Milwaukee. Even the Co2 Art seem to work well for most people.

The point is, buy what you can afford be it $300 or $75. The next point is, injecting pressurized Co2 does take a significant chunk of change to get started. In my area, a brand new “first-purchase” 5lb Co2 canister is $90-$100 then $20-$25 for an exchange. A “decent” cheap regulator is going to cost you at least ~$100. A diffuser/atomizer/reactor ranges from $5-$60. Co2 tubing, solenoid timer, say $20. Even going “cheap”, I’d still be in it about $250. Understanding the limitations of your equipment relative to your budget is the biggest influence though. For me, the limitations of GLA’s regulators are worth the asking price. However, don’t buy something expensive just because other people say you should. Do GLA’s work? Absolutely 100%. But they aren’t the only player in the game and really, they all “work”. You just need to understand those limitations we talked about earlier and decide if those limitations are something you’re willing to deal with for the asking price...for any regulator (or any other piece of equipment for that matter).

Just to note, the AquaTek regulator i mentioned above for 70$  and Cory mentiones in the Aquarium Coop C02 video at around 25 seconds in, is a dual stage regulator with cool touch solenoid.

With my mention above of EBay, it is not that it is used at 70$ but that an ebay store is selling them new for 70$.

From my understanding @Brian K dual stage keeps from having the end of tank dump I believe I am sure some else can chime in.

@Ryan W thank you for your help I order Fzone the C02 art copy or rebrand got it yesterday seems to be made really well and price was good for me and had good reviews also has where I can run to aquarium a so that is cool.Waiting on my diffuser to come in. I 2as lucky my grandpa had 2 old ⁵lbs tanks laying around and I swapped them out yesterday only cost me 22 buck for both. So I am about $175 bucks to get up and running. I will let you know how it is.

@Streetwise thank for you help also. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...