Using Black Diamond Blasting Sand for the First Time

Alesha

2 hours ago, Tanked said:

I'm really glad to see the Black Diamond is working for you, and that other people are using it.  I bought 2 damaged bags for $1.00 years ago but never used because I was told it would cut the fish.  Now I might rethink that project.

I believe you were given bad information.  I've had it in my 10 gallon red shrimp tank for almost a year and haven't had any issues.  If it doesn't cut shrimp feet I'm pretty sure fish would be safe.

Edited by JettsPapa
Fixed a typo. I hate typos.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

i had gravel and wanted black sand I am using Black Diamond  and i love it  and it is not hurting the fish and i have a pelco and cories ... and they are doing  fine with it ..   Since i had fish and did not want to hurt them  i did the tank in sections i put  the  old gravel  in panty hose ( for easy removal later  )  ,,  left them in the tank then i added the sand a little at a time  1/4   i did not put all at one  time ... ..

most people clean it wrong ..  you have  to use very hot water  and   instead of cold .. the hotter the water the better .. it cleans better with hot water i watched this guy  below  how to clean it   and  i kept cleaning till it was clear   i even re-wash  in hot water it after it was clear if you let the water over flow  in the bucket it  gets the junk out faster 

you get a small film at the top but it does not hurt the fish it goes away after a couple water changes  i left the old gravel in panty hose tell the sand was cycled then pulled the gravel out .. 

only drawback with Black Diamond some people might not like (  which i do not mind it ) has brown specks in it i think it looks like specs of dirt  looks more like natural  

ps i did not find any medal in mine when cleaning 

Edited by Bev C