Spotted Congo Puffer Breeding Project Journal

I got a picture that sort of shows the size difference between the largest one. The ones I see most often love to hang around this island of algae that has light 24hrs a day. 

I'm coming up on the 15 day mark pretty quick. @Preston John starts feeding brine shrimp at that point. I suspect my puffers will be growing slower than his but I fired up my brine shrimp hatchery this morning just to get some practice and to make sure my eggs are still good since it's been almost 9 months since I last hatched baby brine. I've got plenty of other fish to feed them to anyway. 

DSC_1705.JPG

• Like 4

My last highest count was 8 babies. A few are starting to get more adventurous and are exploring more of the tank so counting has been more challenging. I've put some baby brine in the last 2 days. They are very interested but I didn't see on eat yet. The largest looks like it could. I'll keep trying every day though. 

Attached is a photo from Dec 16th. Unfortunately they no longer hang out by the glass so macros are basically impossible with my clip on phone lense. 

_20201217_105831.JPG

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jack.of.all.aquariums said:

The male is showing some aggression tonight. I'm guessing there will be breeding tonight or tomorrow.

Typically I am able to tell because of the pinch mark from the male latching one stays around for about a day or so. That should give me enough time to collect a few eggs.

good luck collecting some more eggs and getting them to hatch and raising them up.

• Like 1

The puffers are now 13 days old. I was able to count 8 in the tank. I believe any that were put in other tanks haven't made it. I've been putting a few brine shrimp in the last few days. The largest one has a slightly orange belly so I'm guessing it's eating the baby brine.

No breeding happened yet. I did a large water change and have been feeding 2 cubes of bloodworms in the morning and the evening to hopefully get them in the mood. Maybe they will breed by the end of the weekend though. 

• Like 1

Day 18!

I counted 9 today which is exciting. The size difference between the smallest and largest is super significant. Hopefully that doesn't become and issue. Most of them seem to be eating brine shrimp. A couple of them really stuff themselves. 

I whipped up a second brine shrimp hatchery and hooked up a sump pump with the drain going through the ceiling to the laundry room. Makes a big difference in how fast I can do water changes now instead of relying on gravity. Hopefully that means cleaner and nicer looking tanks because I'll have more time for other maintenance like cleaning the glass, picking algae, etc

PXL_20201224_025220667.MP.jpg

PXL_20201224_025217374.jpg

PXL_20201224_001102544.jpg

PXL_20201222_000327600.jpg

• Like 4

BE4ABFD8-3B59-4188-B488-93688CA27F29.png

Edited by William Son
Greetings. I am now on day 8 of schoutedeni puffer fries. I am raising them in South Korea. I have been tracking the traces of Mr.Preston and I ended up to this forum. I sincerely wish to learn and share the experiences of successful breeding.
  • Like 7

29 days old at this point. I'm feeding baby brine twice a day. The babies hide along the plants now and are rarely at the surface anymore. It makes pictures a bit more of a challenge. They are getting some good size to them now with more coloration. I saw one of them puffed up but wasn't able to get my camera out fast enough. It was super cute though. 

DSC_1816.JPG

• Like 10

Day 34. They all seem to be doing well. Growth has been fast with the twice a day brine shrimp feedings. The largest one is getting its adult patterning already which is so cute! Still no breeding from the adults. I got some decent pictures. I'm getting a new phone in a couple days so hopefully my pictures will get even better. All 9 are in this picture.

PXL_20210109_165524551.jpg

• Like 6

@Jack.of.all.aquariums in the algae farm tank have you done any water changes since the babies have gotten bigger? How many do you think started out in that tank vs how many raised up? 

Any ideas why the other tanks didn't do so well?

It looks like your in ez street now with the BBS! Congrats!

I'm really tempted buy a breeding group of these guys. It's just hard to get a group of them here in arkansas. 

@HenryKing Only a few very small water changes as I'm terrified of sucking one of them up. I put around 50 or so in main tank. I never saw most of them again. I'm hoping to experiment with some different stuff early on to improve my numbers. I think they might need more time before they get moved. I'm not sure why the ones in the other tanks didn't survive but I'll speculate that it was from lack of food as I wasn't conditioning those tanks to have larger populations of microfauna.

Edited by Jack.of.all.aquariums
  • Like 1