Spotted Congo Puffer Breeding Project Journal

12 minutes ago, HBugbee said:

They are adorable. Congratulations on your breeding project!  I'm in CT and looking for a Spotted Congo puffer - do you have any recommendations? 

Unfortunately there aren't really many consistent sources for them that I've ever seen. I'm hoping my breeding success will lead to more people trying though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The babies are doing well. Not really babies anymore. They are starting to eat bloodworms but I'm still feeding baby brine periodically. They have started to clear out larger and larger snails from the tank. I'll need to move them soon but don't really have anything set up for them. I'm tempted to move them in with the adults though. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, Preston John said:

You can sex puffers from the same spawn reliably at 12-16 months. At 2.5" you are looking at at least a 24 month old puffer, but hard to tell with the wild ones until you have a month or two of heavy feedings. 

What do you look for with wild ones? I just got 2 wild caught puffers the other day and I wanted to see if they are a male female pair.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for checking in! They are still doing well. Nothing too special really just been feeding them and watching them grow incredibly slowly. Unfortunately I haven't been putting much effort into the hobby lately. I think I got a little burnt out from the twice a day brine shrimp hatching and then got my enthusiasm killed when covid was keeping me from getting the tanks I wanted.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Lots of breeding happening lately. I need to figure out a way to collect the eggs. I'm thinking of setting up a small tank to transfer breeding pairs into. I'm guessing the stress will end the breeding so I might need a larger tank they can spend some time in it but I don't really feel like gravel vaccing the entire tank and then looking for eggs. 

Maybe some more experienced breeders have some ideas? 

20220318_173904.jpg

20220323_170007.jpg

• Like 3