Plants with Buenos Aires Tetras?

Ben P.

I'm fairly new to the hobby, making the mistakes of rookies everywhere and I made this one.  I have a 55 gal with 2 juvenile discus, some various bottom dwellers (Corys, plecos, algae eaters), and 2 yoyo loaches. My discus were really shy so I wanted some tetras to make my discus less nervous.  I went to petco because it's the only store within 2 hours of me, and got 10 Buenos Aires Tetras.  I didn't know that they tend to nip on plants.  I have bamboo plants, what I believe to be a krip of some variety (again petco) and java moss.  I'm looking to add more plants and was wondering what ones might not get eaten by the Buenos Aires Tetras?

Thank you in advance,

Ben

IMG_20201130_154749.jpg

Edited by Ben P.
Added photo

1 hour ago, James Black said:

i've heard stories of valesnaria and anubius not get eaten. Also once the discus get to be larger you should upgrade them to at least a 75 Gallon with more discus friends, discus are schooling fish so 6 at least would be best. 

Do anubias do well with low light?

I'm unsure how much I like the discus, so being new to them, I wanted to start with just 2.  Also price difference between 55 and 75 is pretty big, maybe someday or maybe I decide I don't like them.  They don't have a whole lot of personality.

anubia's dont require a lot of light, and usually do well with any fish. for the bamboo, we've all had them, but long term they will rot being fully submerged.  they do seem to last about a year or so before they turn to mush, but ultimately  the leaves of the bamboo plant need to be out of the water.

Edited by lefty o

1 hour ago, Ben P. said:

Do anubias do well with low light?

I'm unsure how much I like the discus, so being new to them, I wanted to start with just 2.  Also price difference between 55 and 75 is pretty big, maybe someday or maybe I decide I don't like them.  They don't have a whole lot of personality.

yes anubius are low light.

Yes, the thing with Discus is you kind of need a tank for them. Like everytime you buy a new fish for the tank you need to ask yourself "will these be okay with my discus". So turning it into a community tank would be a good idea.