Possibly fin rot on gourami?

bellion

Hi there,

I have a 5G tank with a pair of gourami (I am not sure of the species but look like red honey for me) and a chinese algae eater (which loves sucking the scale of the gouramis). The male gourami has been making bubble nest recently and he kept chasing the female gourami away. Today I realised there is some kind of injury on the fin of the female with the pictures attached.

I would like to know if I should keep the female in the current tank or move her to another tank which is an Amazon biotope with 5 skirt tetras? I am not sure if the injury is a bacterial infection or a physical injury. I do not have a quarantine tank unfortunately.

The water parameters are normal

pH: 6.4, GH:7, kH:6, nitrates, nitrites and ammonia: 0, temp:  About 72 F or 25/26 C

Thank you in advance.

IMG_2303.jpg.1c8d6a6cbaf77a582e0b9ec22fbaf370.jpg

Edited by bellion

no, it doesn't look like fin rot, but more injury. Yes I would move the female, let her recover dose salt. I wouldn't have a pair in a 5 gallon, I would get a 10 gallon. This way the male and female have more space, and potentialy more hiding spots for the female. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

I think the 20 gallon sounds much better. I have my honey gouramis in a 55 gallon community tank, and even then when he’s protecting his nest the male will chase the female all the way to the other side. Move some of those plants with them so she has plenty of hiding places!

Thank you for your help. 20 gallon is the biggest tank I can get at the moment unfortunately, I would like to have a 55G someday. Does he chase the female away after they have mated or he simply want to claim the territory do you know?

Mine will chase the female “nicely” (if that makes sense) when he wants to mate, but he’ll only really go after her and bite her once he has eggs in the nest. Mine is especially territorial once the eggs have hatched but before the fry can swim.

It seems like my male fish gets super hormonal and whenever he has a bubble nest, but if he doesn’t have a nest for a few days (for instance when the water flow is high and he just can’t build one), he totally calms down, and then the male and female hang out and just flirt with each other. So if the male’s being particularly annoying you can always try breaking down his nest and then keeping him from building a new one. He’ll hate you at first though. 😅

• Haha 1