Please help! Fungal infection??

Hemali

Hi,

I have 30 corydoras, 16 rummy nose tetras, 8 otocinclus, 9 very young Chili rasboras, and a few Amano shrimp in my 55gal. Just got 15 corys about 4 days ago and the other 15 corys 2 weeks ago.

Water parameters: 0:0:10-15, ph: 7.4 temp: set at 76 drops to 72.5 at night because of environmental temperature.

I just noticed a few corydoras have these white little string clusters on their fins. Its not on their body and isn't little whit spots like ich. Any idea what it is? About 10 have a little. Only the corys have this stuff and they're acting and eating fine.

Also, my corys sometimes flash after sifting the really fine sand through their gills, only my corydoras are flashing. Is that normal for fine sand tanks and corys?

I'm thinking its a fungal thing caused by a combination of not having gravel vacuumed the sand at all and stress from being new to the tank.

Im thinking of gravel vacuuming then doing a 30% water change and seeing how this go. If it doesn't go away, Im thinking of quarantining them and treating with api fungus cure. My worry with medicating is that the medication will be too strong for the younger little corys and I only have a 5.5gal quarantine tank.

20201128_150711.jpg

20201128_150726.jpg

20201128_145645.jpg

20201128_145642.jpg

20201118_193115.jpg

Edited by Hemali

9 hours ago, Cory said:

i'm not sure what it is, in one of the pictures it looks like 3 things are hanging off it's tail, maybe parasite?

The thing is, only half the corys, 15, have a little of it. The Rummy nose tetras, chili rasboras, and otocinclus are completely fine. The corys are also acting completely fine, besides occasionally flashing. Do you know if corydoras can be safely treated with api general cure and api fungus cure? Tried looking online with mixed answers. I have malachite green, but it says its not safe for scaleless catfish. Does that include corydoras which have armored scales? I also just added a ton of tannins into the water. Sorry these are my first sick fish and I'm worried sick. 😔

I’ve used Ich X at full strength with my pygmy cories, otos, and loaches and they were all totally fine. It contains malachite green at 0.1% and the dose is 5 ml per 10 gallons.

Just because the others don’t have the parasite (yet) doesn’t mean they won’t get it. Though some fish are going to be more susceptible to different parasites depending on the type of parasite and the health of the fish.

I would go ahead and use the malachite green. What dose does it recommend and what’s the concentration?

• Thanks 2

• Administrators

I don't have nearly the experience with API fungus cure. I recommend using the general cure and Ich X instead. We put every corydoras we come into contact with through this treatment. As always if a fish has problem,  using meds can kill them, but not treating them also kills them.

3 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I’ve used Ich X at full strength with my pygmy cories, otos, and loaches and they were all totally fine. It contains malachite green at 0.1% and the dose is 5 ml per 10 gallons.

Just because the others don’t have the parasite (yet) doesn’t mean they won’t get it. Though some fish are going to be more susceptible to different parasites depending on the type of parasite and the health of the fish.

I would go ahead and use the malachite green. What dose does it recommend and what’s the concentration?

It recommends one teaspoons per 10 gallons. So 5.5 tsp for my 55. I have a 5 gallon quarantine tank with a couple plastic plants, bare bottom, and cycled. Do you think I could treat 15 corys then the other 15? Making sure they don't come in contact with eachother till after the treatment. This stuff apparently will dye things green in my display tank.

4 hours ago, Cory said:

I don't have nearly the experience with API fungus cure. I recommend using the general cure and Ich X instead. We put every corydoras we come into contact with through this treatment. As always if a fish has problem,  using meds can kill them, but not treating them also kills them.

I have some really young Chili rasboraso and corys in the display tank. Would you recommend treating young fish with the trio of meds (ich-x, api general cure, and e m erythromycin)?

I found three other post on forums where only corys seemed to be getting these little things. Two people treated with api general cure for flukes and one person with the api fungus cure thinking its fungus. All worked. Im thinking of starting with api general cure amd ich-x as recommend. Hopefully a store near me has these things so I can get started soon.

• Like 1

Generally it’s best to treat for parasites in your main tank because the parasites often live in different parts of the tank at different stages of their life cycle. So they may have eggs in the gravel and baby flukes in the water or something like that. Treating your main tank ensures you clear the whole environment.

If you have anything you’re worried about getting stained in your main tank, I’d just take it out and set it aside for now. You can clean it with H202 or just let it dry out completely to kill anything that might be on it.

Ich X left my silicone with a light blue tint but it’s not so bad. 🙂

I hope you can find some Ich X soon!

• Thanks 1

I did it! First round of api general cure and a bit of stress coat (couldn't fine ich-x). Now to keep a close eye on my little dudes and make sure their little dudes go away. 👀

Edited by Hemali
  • Like 1

Its working!! Thank you for the advice everyone! ^_^

Ottoceiclus, young and old corydoras, rummy nose tetras, very younge chili rasboras, Amano shrimp, bladder snails, and plants all look like their doing great with the medication! 

Edited by Hemali
  • Like 1