Seized

I had my frogs in a 20 hex and just moved them to my brand new 10 gallon because I wanted them to have an easier time getting to the surface. I'm pretty sure the new substrate dropped a pH a bit. I also accidently filled the tank with 85° water when I moved it across the room 2 days ago then fed them bloodworms later that night. There's only a betta in there with them. I knew I had a male and a female (just by chance, I figured out their sex way after I got them over 2 years ago.) I got up early because I forgot to take out the trash this morning and found this. Total accident but maybe the drop in pH triggered mating. Or just them being almost alone in a tank did. I'm basically also here for advice since this is a first for me. Only other thing I accidently bred was rabbit snails I have had for over 2 years now. 

PXL_20201202_112844614.jpg

• Like 3

So I guess my first bit of advice is be ready to move the eggs out of the tank immediately. Lol my first mistake was not doing that. We found ONE egg this morning and it was definitely alive but it was gone this evening. I found it while I was already late for work. 😞 I'll be better prepared next time.

I lied. I found a tiny microscopic tadpole. It's about 1mm long. I stirred up the sand substrate a bit and he wiggled so I got him in my turkey baster and transferred him to a tupperware container.

As I was typing this I found a 2nd on on the glass near the back of the tank. I ground up some flakes to a powder and put that in there with them. I'll be seeking out some sort of more appropriate holding container and food tomorrow.

Hopefully someone who knows what they're doing will see this and give us a hand lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are all free swimming now. They are getting a tiny slice of dried seaweed and first bites. I'm using a baster to remove old food and 50% water from their container 1-2X a day. They're still too small to go in a breeder box. I need to go get a specimen cup. I was told on facebook they would benefit from live baby brine shrimp. So I'm working on that too. They are still tiny but look like pinheads now. All 14 are doing well. Every time I change the parents water I siphon it into a bucket then check for tadpoles just in case I missed some.

PXL_20201208_235555744.jpg.36f3a100753da6cdde036ebd90dbbd08.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, Seized said:

That’s amazing! I really want to do this myself one day. Have you tried feeding the hikari first bites or aquarium coop fry food?

I have been feeding first bites! I haven't tried the fry food because I don't have it. We really over spent for christmas this year. So in a few weeks I'll be trying to order it. I did hit up my local fish store for brine shrimp eggs and the owner was super cool and said he'd take the frog babies if I can raise them AND sold me a few vials of his 90% hatch rate brine shrimp eggs. I've lost count of the tadpoles but I'm assuming I have 5-10 still and they're still making eggs. I've only been pulling out tadpoles that hatch when I can find them and when I vacuum the tank I'm siphoning into a bucket and using a flashlight and turkey baster to search out tadpoles I may have missed. I find that the eggs are too sticky to move. 

I have moved them to my red cherry shrimp tank right next to the frog tank so the adults don't get stuck under the breeder box. The shrimp can eat up all the first bites and at least 2 are berried so the baby shrimp are going to have plenty to eat since a lot of it falls through the mesh. 

I haven't started hatching baby brine shrimp yet but I'll be working on that tomorrow evening. PXL_20201218_182025531.jpg.0c3221c42c8520a9a57b2e728447ee99.jpgPXL_20201213_144502458.jpg.a55f74fa8dbcc3b0a99afdbb71c7b150.jpg

• Like 1

I feed frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms but recent research has pointed to mysis shrimp as a good option too. 

Sad news though. My female frog died this morning. Absolutely no visible cause of death. The water in the tank tested .75 NH3, 0 NO2, 40 NO3. I knew it wasn't cycled but I keep adding the beneficial bacteria and test it every few days to make sure it's not dangerous. The male frog and betta fish are doing well. I changed water just to make sure they were okay. I did see the frogs mating again last night. I hope the male didn't drown her. 

I have 5-10 tadpoles in the breeder box in the shrimp tank. They're constantly escaping but seem to be doing well. 

• Like 1

The biggest ones are starting to develop legs. The less see through area on their tail are tiny legs forming. There are only these two big ones left. I have 3 little ones and one additional little one that escaped the breeder net and is living in the shrimp tank. I still put baby brine shrimp and first bites in there for him and so far he's doing okay as far as I can tell. Baby brine shrimp definitely goes over very well with them. I need to find a warmer spot to hatch the brine shrimp eggs because it takes like 48 hours and it's not ideal. I just don't want to buy more equipment so they're getting baby brine every other day. It stays alive at room temp so I just feed them multiple times a day when the brine shrimp hatches. The baby brine shrimp seems the ideal food. I really watch them go after it. 

I siphon out the bottom of the breeder box daily because a lot of food gets left there. I also overfeed. The big ones are double the size of the little ones now. Polish_20201231_095138359.jpg.be7188790332c1ac7adac44d35d157c4.jpg

The big ones above. The size difference between the big and the little below.

Polish_20201231_100054811.jpg.598b38212cae1cfad9c23f119a8d0e40.jpg