Christmas Moss Bridge Plant Replacement

phillips66

I bought a Christmas moss bridge a few months ago.  It was overcome with algae and I killed the moss trying to get rid of it.  What plant would you all suggest to cover the bare bridge other than moss.  I really like the bridge in my aquarium (it's between two pieces of drift wood) but I think more moss would just end with the same result.  I have extremely hard water (PH of 8.2) so that may be a consideration.  The tank is a 29 gallon with a Fluval Aquasky light on it.

Thank you for any advice.

IMG_20200728_111205397.jpg

As a follow up question.  I have another bridge in a 10 gallon shrimp tank that is starting to get overrun with algae also.  How would you get the algae down?  I've already turned my light down to 25% and they are on for 10.5 hours a day.  I have three nerite snails in the tank but they don't seem to want to touch the algae growing on the moss.  There are also 4 cherry shrimp, 4 platy fry, and a otto cat but none of them want to eat that particular algae.

IMG_20200701_132456405.jpg

Try cutting the light on that tank with the second bridge down from 10.5 hours a day to only 5 hours and see how that does after a week. I often find leaving lights on (even at a lower setting) for too long allows the algae to continue to chug along. 

I like java fern across bridge like pieces of drift wood or rocks, so I bet it'd look great on that coconut bridge too! Especially as the java fern grows in and becomes taller. But if you wanted something to stay lower, the suggestion of anubias nana petite is a good one. That'll stay much smaller than java fern.

Another idea ot consider for the second bridge, get yourself an army of amano shrimp and put them in there. When I worked at a LFS years ago, we would take plants or decorations that had algae on them and throw them in our amano shrimp tank and they made short work of it. Depending on how many shrimp were in the tank, most of the time something covered in hair algae would be cleaned in a day or two.