DIY Test Rack

Matt_

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It is called a manual pipette. I own several, a 2.5 microliter, a 20 micro liter, a 200 microliter and the one I use most with fish the 1000 microliter which does deliver exactly 1 mL of fluid every time (if it is properly calibrated). I think @Brandy uses stuff like this everyday.

IMG_3090.JPG.2e4744d420c4676c016e780f9de524fb.JPG

When I first started, we pipetted by mouth and sometime you would get chemicals in your mouth, so these sort of pipettes were a great advancement.

do you know if you can get one for 5 milliliters?

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It is called a manual pipette. I own several, a 2.5 microliter, a 20 micro liter, a 200 microliter and the one I use most with fish the 1000 microliter which does deliver exactly 1 mL of fluid every time (if it is properly calibrated). I think @Brandy uses stuff like this everyday.

When I first started, we pipetted by mouth and sometime you would get chemicals in your mouth, so these sort of pipettes were a great advancement.

I do. And they ain't cheap. Once again Daniel's home lab impresses the hell out of me.

6 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

you can, and I have one for 25ml--I use it to feed brine shrimp. Mine is considerably lower tech and cheaper. Here is the pump part:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00191HNKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And you will also need tips, I steal them from work, but they can also be found on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/EarthOx-Serological-Pipettes-Standard-Individually/dp/B073PJ5LG4/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/146-3418987-6958502?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073PJ5LG4&pd_rd_r=9b1e390c-072e-4e70-bf97-5e9af3453f5d&pd_rd_w=ssFAP&pd_rd_wg=1oGU9&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=98GXYH444Y87G4T9RDAQ&psc=1&refRID=98GXYH444Y87G4T9RDAQ

Those come in 1, 2, 5, 10, and 25ml. There are also large barrel syringes, available at feed stores sometimes, that would be a reasonable substitute.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

Yes, on Amazon they go from $40 - $400 for a 5 mL one.

I don't know if I would trust the $40 one, but who knows it might be great? Just look for "5ml pipette".

3 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I do. And they ain't cheap. Once again Daniel's home lab impresses the hell out of me.

We had a house fire once, and when the fire fighters discovered my lab, I had a whole lot of explaining do. They thought is was a 'Breaking Bad' type situation but eventually understood that I just enjoy running chemistry and biology experiments.

• Haha 3

Just now, Daniel said:

We had a house fire once, and when the fire fighters discovered my lab, I had a whole lot of explaining do. They thought is was a 'Breaking Bad' type situation but eventually understood that I just enjoy running chemistry and biology experiments.

If I ever win the lottery and retire, this and traveling are my game plan...I will putter along to my hearts content, I cannot envision being bored. I am too curious.😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

My router skills are not that good. I sketched out what I wanted in program Fusion 360 from Autodesk and then used a Haas Mini Mill to fabricate it.

Here is part of the rendered drawing.

image.png.783da853488d13b00b709819bed7a961.png

That little inner lip you can see in the drawing is just enough to keep the test tubes from going any further down the hole. But by having the hole go all the way through I have left myself to option of lighting from below.

The bottom groove could potentially hold the LED light strip if I go that route.

No wander your fabrication is absolute perfection!  It all makes sense with the mini mill. 🤣  I cant wait to see it lit up if you do end up going that route.

• Like 1