Anyone tried these Top Fin Bulbs? (pic)

I just recently got some...the one on the left is the water onion (not sure which variant specifically). The one on the very bottom of the pic looks like I might be aponogeton. The central bulb I'm not sure. From my pack of bulbs I have the water onion growing, and 2 successful aponogeton growing and a 3rd one the just sprouted after being in the tank for 3 weeks. Unfortunately my angelfish is tearing my aponogeton up and I just moved it to the corner of y tank, otherwise it would look great. The pack said it came with water lily too.  So I've had the bulbs in for under a month and the aponogeton has grown that fast. The water onion looks like a sprig but I expect more from it in the long run. 

16066787635968006918387175229469.jpg

16066787826128567821487608566784.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FishObsessed said:

I just recently got some...the one on the left is the water onion (not sure which variant specifically). The one on the very bottom of the pic looks like I might be aponogeton. The central bulb I'm not sure. From my pack of bulbs I have the water onion growing, and 2 successful aponogeton growing and a 3rd one the just sprouted after being in the tank for 3 weeks. Unfortunately my angelfish is tearing my aponogeton up and I just moved it to the corner of y tank, otherwise it would look great. The pack said it came with water lily too.  So I've had the bulbs in for under a month and the aponogeton has grown that fast. The water onion looks like a sprig but I expect more from it in the long run.

yes, thanks still wondering about the middle one.

A neighbor grew a couple of those packets of bulbs and gave me the ones that got too big for her setups. I have the aponogeton in my 36g that the goldfish leave alone. This is an old pic but it's gotten a little larger since then. There's also an onion plant in another tank.

1736441777_ScreenShot2020-12-05at11_37_26PM.png.575ae23790866040ba5d4e1de1c11f26.png

I bought one pack and then another pack labeled pond lilies. The onion grew and a red Lilly like plant took off in my ten gallon. Good news is the beta loves the protection to swim through. I hated that only four bulbs out of about 8-10 sprouted and I looked for more Friday but they all looked bad. I hate that they don’t have a guarantee or return. 

• 5 months later...

Hi @siniardem, what plant bulb did you buy? What kind of snail ate through it? Without knowing much information, it is possible that your snail ate it because it was rotting or decaying in the water. Sometimes the bulbs will grow this clear or white slimy biofilm and the snails and/or shrimp love to eat that too. 

What I typically do with the dwarf aquarium lilly bulbs I get from the co-op is put them in a cup where I can monitor them. I will only put them into the aquarium once the leaves and roots have sprouted. Once that happens, I place them into the aquarium with the roots down in the substrate (do not bury the bulb too deep as it can rot). I hope that helps! 

On 5/12/2021 at 1:28 AM, Isaac M said:

Hi @siniardem, what plant bulb did you buy? What kind of snail ate through it? Without knowing much information, it is possible that your snail ate it because it was rotting or decaying in the water. Sometimes the bulbs will grow this clear or white slimy biofilm and the snails and/or shrimp love to eat that too. 

What I typically do with the dwarf aquarium lilly bulbs I get from the co-op is put them in a cup where I can monitor them. I will only put them into the aquarium once the leaves and roots have sprouted. Once that happens, I place them into the aquarium with the roots down in the substrate (do not bury the bulb too deep as it can rot). I hope that helps! 

It was the dwarf lilly bulb and I had good success in a different tank so I popped it right in. The mystery snail was all over it even though I feed veggies when I can. Most of my driftwood and bulbs do that, but the snail literally ate a hole in it almost immediately. I don't do heavy cleaning on the glass of the tank to leave the film for them. I was decreasing the amount a week I fed them due to too much brown algae diatoms with the new fluval 3.0 light. I just decreased the strength of the light this week and started feeding more to help with algae growth to support more plant growth.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...