White growth on dwarf hair grass

7 hours ago, Brandy said:

WOAH! That is so COOL. I have no idea what it is, but it acts like larvae or something? polyps of some kind? @Daniel has to see this. Have you added any new plants recently?

Wow, that is so cool. I am researching it now, but I don't have many good ideas yet.

After carefully looking, I found the same thing in one of my shrimp aquariums.

I am not 100% sure yet but what these seem to be are sessile rotifers.

Rotifers are tiny invertebrate animals that are even now poorly understood. This is a colony of possibly juveniles rotifers all on stalks.
When I touch them they all contract and then come out again.

Much more research is needed.

Here is video I shot a few minutes ago of the ones I found in the ghost shrimp breeding aquarium:

Thank you @DIEProphezeiung and @Brandy for calling my attention to these fascinating little animals!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was just about to edit my post.  looks like rotifers and vorticella are very similar.  They are essentially filter feeders getting nutrients from the water column so harmless for the shrimp.  I think I've even the shrimp snacking on them.  

They have now spread to a piece of wood and it almost looks like a carpet.  I will try and get a picture of them on the wood when the lights come on.  

• Like 2

Ooh, this is interesting! I saw this once on my cryptocorynes, in a small 5 gallon shrimp tank. I thought it was some type of crustacean, but after you guys' wonderful input, It does seem like rotifers! Thank you for asking the question, and thank you everyone who answered! I am definitely following this page to see what other experts know about this!

I

10 minutes ago, Mridul Singh said:

I thought it was some type of crustacean, but after you guys' wonderful input, It does seem like rotifers!

I have switched from it being sessile rotifers to Vorticella. If I have chance today, I will put it under the microscope and see what it looks like.

• Like 2

I too recently became aware of Vorticella in my aquarium, but have not witnessed a colony the size of the one you discovered. I guess people have been keeping aquariums for their microscopic inhabitants for quite some time.

Screenshot_2020-11-30-14-24-05-1.png.80754bc41a8eb22b4645c72716646528.png

This book from 1883 has a whole chapter on the microscopical aquarium.

WWW.BIODIVERSITYLIBRARY.ORG

The Biodiversity Heritage Library works collaboratively to make biodiversity literature openly...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1