Need expert source for care of African Dwarf Frogs

Cyberwolf

Any help will be appreciated.  I need ADF advice, unfortunately too late to help the reason for this message in the first place.  in my 55 g long tank 2 days ago i noticed that one of my 5 ADF's showing signs of either being ill or pregnant.  The belly on that frog was huge.. i found it at the top of the tank floating on the water dead today.  i am concerned, that i might lose the others because I took the advice of the LPS and have fed them every other day exclusively frozen blood worms.  they are in a planted community tank with gravel substrate, the usual live bearers - a bunch of mollies and a pair of swordtails, 3 garra, mystery & pond snails, two baby ranchu goldfish, and four other ADF's.  I have two sponge filters and an airstone.  I had the tank set at 74. a fact that may not matter now is that I am thinking of giving them a species only 20 gallon tank with this group plus two more I have in a 29 g with same parameters.  the tanks are due for a water change today.  i feel awful.  These are my favorites. i like the fish a great deal, but the frogs have a special place in my heart.  I did not take the time to find out the sex before i disposed of it and I should have.  that would have shown if it was pregnant maybe.  Unfortunately i can not find a solid, one fact source of information on the care for them.  every person seems to have developed their own theories on how to care for these little creatures and none of them match.  one person says never feed blood worms except as a treat, another says only feed blood or black worms, another says something different.  i need an expert source if anyone has one.  i don't want this to happen to any other little ones until it is there time and it is natural.           

• Administrators

I wouldn't call myself an expert. They are carnivores and can be slow eaters. In general they do well in tropical fish conditions. They prefer having something to rest on near the top of the water, like thick leafed plants. Do you have any pics of yours? Do they otherwise look healthy?

I’m jot an expert and haven’t found a good source of info on adf’s.  Lots of conflicting information.

If the blood worms were dried and not soaked ahead of feeding that could lead to digestive issues like in fish maybe?

Mine likes tubifex worms as well, it will eat a few single worms or one or two bunches and then seems satisfied. I haven’t seen it eat any flake or pellet food.  I will sometimes feed it with my aquascaping tweezers to get the food right to it because it takes a while to get to the food and I want to make sure it eats well at least once a week.  I’ve started using my finger to help guide it to the food by putting my finger near the frog and dragging it along the glass to the food.  I don’t know if they have a very good sense of smell because the frog is the last one to the dinner party unless I use the tweezers.

Hope the rest stay healthy 🙂

Edited by CanadaAmanda
Clarification

I’m not an expert either but it sounds like it may have died due to bloating or constipation. I have heard of bloodworms eventually leading to digestion issues for fish (I think I also remember Cory talking about that during a fish room tour), but I am not sure how much of it applies to ADFs. To be on the safe side, I feed my ADFs and my fish brine shrimp primarily and give frozen bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week. 

I agree, you should definitely set up a species only tank for the rest of them. They just don’t seem to do that well when kept with fish. I only keep Ramshorn snails with my ADFs as a clean up crew. 

I feel for you, I once lost two ADFs back to back within the same week without me ever finding out what it was. I’m sorry for your loss, I hope the rest of your froggies will be okay! 

Edited by AnimalNerd98