Feeding ring

Stoney Lake Aquatics

Hey everyone,  

I have livebearer breeding tanks set up with hornwort floating for fry cover.  The problem I’m having is when I feed my adults, food is getting trapped in the midst of the plants and decaying.  I’ve seen many diy top water feeding rings, but didn’t know if that would keep the underneath plants from floating over and collecting the food.  Anyone have experience, or ideas, on what I could use to minimize the food getting caught in the plants?  

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I have airline hose that I cut, melted and attached in a circle (had to do a couple tries to get it to work for me this way). I use it with my beta, his tank has duckweed and Frog bit. If I am not careful with the density it can grow over into the rings otherwise I'm fine. It sounds like your issue is the thickness or density of the hornwort? Can you make an aria that doesn't have multiple layers of hornwort? What about if you float some PVC (vertically) or a plastic container (and cut out the bottom of the container)? Then you would have floating walls that could keep the plants from getting in. Maybe zip tie some eggcrate diffuser together and float that?