How worried should you be about getting ill from your tanks?

Jerry

Just curious because it seems like every time I do a water change, feed my fish or look at my aquarium I manage to get splashed in the eye or inhale tank water. So how common or likely is it to catch a parasite or a bacterial infection from your fish?

Well the CDC says.

WWW.CDC.GOV

Pets provide many benefits to humans. They comfort us and they give us companionship. However, some animals can also pass diseases to people...

I have never nor do I know of anyone that has gotten ill from their tanks, even on farms.

Edited by KBOzzie59
Hit the send button to quick.

Thanks KBOzzie59,

I figured it’s really rare to get anything from our fish, I used to start my water change siphon by mouth but for some reason this past year I’ve become much more of a germaphobe and I get stressed out about getting tank water in my eyes or on cuts

Interesting that I came upon this. I just had this experience:

4 days prior I had a clinic procedure done on my arm- lazer zaps. I was healing just fine. Then I got into my aquarium to redesign and change out my substrate to expand into  a planted aquarium. Dispite hand - arm washing-  Within 24 hours I was ready to go to ER cuz an infection took off turning red and swollen, growingfrom 1 cm diameter to a big 6 cm diameter. Only because it was the  Night before Thanksgiving   And C19 was taking off in my area that the doc thought I not risk going in. Doc kept tabs on me and directed OTC medication and so far it is subsiding.  If you have any injuries -or Healing injuries- in your hands be very cautious in your tank.( I'd add my image, but cant figure that out here)