Strange eggs.

giantlumberjack

Oh yea forgot to say what kind of fish i have. 

Right now i have one snail, not sure what kind but is has a strange tire /race car tire marking on its shell.

2 bronze cory

1 albino and i think pepper cory

2 female guppies

1 male swordtail

1 Otocinclus Catfish

2 kuhli loachs

And a angelfish

Some eggs were on the glass before i put my angel back but now i've seen others so i dont know.

They look like cory eggs based on the photo size of the eggs next to the thermometer.  The female is larger and plumper than the male.  Spawning behavior to look for: the female will clutch the eggs between her fins, the male will fertilize making a t-shape and then the female will lay the eggs on the glass/plants.  My Paleatus corys place eggs all over the tank and spawn every 10 days.  You can use a credit card or your fingers, pull them off the glass, and hatch them up in a container - I use the Lees Specimen Contain and an air stone to hatch the eggs out.  Otherwise your other fish will eat the eggs within a day or two.

Cory has a video of this at minute 9:45:  Orange Laser Corydoras Spawning - Aquarium Co-Op - YouTube

• Like 3

Yes, you can hatch the fry in a fry cage and also hatch the fry in a cup if you want - I have done both before.  You will want an airstone for agitation of the eggs, clean water, and heat from some source.  You will want to locate the cup/hatchery directly over the heater if you have a glass lid and are doing an out of tank hatch.  I recommend having baby brine shrimp (live or frozen) or Hikari First Bites on hand if the eggs hatch.  I clean the fry cadge using an airline tubing siphon when feeding.  Also, don't get discouraged if the first batch of eggs does not hatch, because sometimes it even takes a few trys for the fish to figure things out.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I figured that I should share photos of my current setup if it will help since I only have a couple of tanks (I do not have a fish room) and have had some successful hatches to adults using this method.  I did not clean anything up to take these pictures, so this is as it is typically setup:

Paleatus Cory eggs in a Lees Specimen Container with an airstone located directly over a 200watt aquarium heater:

20201128-20201128_184623.jpg.c752e4c6151d2c96102cd1cee638a0fe.jpg

Paleatus Cory wigglers in a fry cage (to keep them from being eaten) with some java moss and mini marimo moss ball for cover:

20201128-20201128_184557.jpg.d58b223d05844a75e9d7a2b259996993.jpg

• Like 1

It would really help for the wigglers and I would say preferably for the eggs.  I need to add one to mine for the wigglers, but I do not have a tee on hand.

In my first hatch of these fish I put the eggs in a used betta cup with an airstone, changed the water daily, and waited two weeks.  Nothing hatched after two weeks and I was so bummed out that I turned everything off but left the eggs in the cup because I was so busy at the time.  A week later I went to clean out the cup and it was full of wigglers, so you never know what will happen!

If you’re interested in trying to hatch Cory eggs like this, here are two short videos you may find helpful. One important note, however... many times, the eggs laid are not fertile. If they stay white and build up fungus they are infertile. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh I found some eggs again yesterday. But i'm wondering if I should touch them. You see they are in a spot where my filter shoots water out of. So i'm wondering if the fish knew that it could help them or something. What do you guys think? I finally manage to get a sponge to make sure frys and such cant get sucked in but all my other fish are still in so im assuming theres a high chance they might get ate.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:35 AM, Fish Folk said:

If you’re interested in trying to hatch Cory eggs like this, here are two short videos you may find helpful. One important note, however... many times, the eggs laid are not fertile. If they stay white and build up fungus they are infertile. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Do you know how long it should take before i can see if the eggs were fertilise or not? Also i've founds some more and put them in a hang on breeder box. Do you think i should still put in a air stone? Since it already as a built in ""filter"" type thing and uses a air pump. Also how are the eegs on ""grime"" I woke up this morning and my box was full of it so i took a lot of it out but will that ""kill"" the eggs? Sorry for my annoyance its my first time doing this, Ive always bread livebearers but never egg layers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

I’d have to see what you mean by grime exactly. Is that fungus? Infertile eggs grow white cotton-like fungus of measures are not taken to prevent it. Can you post more photos? 

I meant more traditional aquarium debris, just waste i think.

Will try to get more pics when i can.