Rasbora Mouth Stuck Open

Justin Perry

On 7/28/2020 at 1:28 AM, Cory said:

Looks like it could be broken jaw and possibly an infection starting to set in?

Response to Cory

Thanks for the response, Cory! I've had 5 harlequins with a very docile male betta since I got them about 8 weeks ago. I've never noticed any aggression, but I guess that that doesn't mean much. It only takes a second.

Anyway, what would you recommend that I do with him? I can't tell if he's eating. I know that he's trying. I don't want him to just starve to death, but my only other option I guess is to euthanize him?

Dave's question regarding lockjaw is a good one, too. Any thoughts there?

Thanks again for your response and your thoughts. You're my number one go to, and I really appreciate everything you do, including this forum. Looking forward to getting the java moss from Aquarium Co-op tomorrow 👍

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2021 at 2:19 AM, laritheloud said:

@Anitab Have you noticed any other symptoms? Weakness, hanging near the surface? Do you see any obstruction inside the mouth?

This happened to one of my endlers and it turned out he had a growth that blocked his entire mouth and forced it open.

It's very read inside his mouth, and last night I noticed he was unable to eat

He could take food in but it would fall back out (frozen brine shrimp was on the menu), I'll quarantine today and treat for bacterial infection if that doesn't help I will probably euthenaise

Other Rasboras are absolutely fine

On 12/11/2021 at 9:23 AM, Anitab said:

It's very read inside his mouth, and last night I noticed he was unable to eat

He could take food in but it would fall back out (frozen brine shrimp was on the menu), I'll quarantine today and treat for bacterial infection if that doesn't help I will probably euthenaise

Other Rasboras are absolutely fine

It should say red in his mouth not read