Kuhli Loaches and Hillstream Loaches in a 29?

rydin4life

I've read that Hillstream loaches should be kept just as a single or in groups of 3.  I set-up a 29 gallon and want to add a hillstream and a kuhli loach - how many of each could I add - would it be best to just do one hillstream and 3 kuhlis or 3 hillstreams and no kuhlis?  I don't want the hillstreams to be territorial and have issues which is why I'm asking.

@MWilk Tahnk is fairly bare at the moment.  I'm only feeing xtreme pellets and the occassional bloodworms to the minnows I have in there now, but would certainly add other foods for the hillstream loaches.

I like the idea of 3 hillstreams and a group of kuhli's, but didn't want to add too much to the bottom of the tank either.

On 9/25/2024 at 9:04 AM, rydin4life said:

@MWilk Tahnk is fairly bare at the moment.  I'm only feeing xtreme pellets and the occassional bloodworms to the minnows I have in there now, but would certainly add other foods for the hillstream loaches.

I like the idea of 3 hillstreams and a group of kuhli's, but didn't want to add too much to the bottom of the tank either.

Hillstream loaches aren't really exclusive bottom dwellers. Like plecos they like to cling and suck on glass and rocks to eat biofilm and algae. They are moreso 'everywhere' dwellers.

Kuhli loaches are smaller than you think. 4 inches is a max length and even then they're usually shorter than that. 6 in a 29 gallon is super easy. I would recommend some more plants - not only does the cover make kuhlis more comfortable, [when you are able to spot them] they look amazing weaving through grassy leaved plants such as tenellus. 

How much filtration are you running? What kind of filters? Co2 injection? What kind of substrate do you have? 

If you were to put 6 or 7 kuhlis and 3 hillstream loaches in your tank in addition to the 12 minnows, your tank would be ~75% stocked, so still understocked. And in terms of "activity", you aren't really going to see your kuhlis much. If you do happen to get active kuhlis, that is pretty rare! They are pretty secretive and startled easy. For me, this is one of my favorite thing about them. Similar with my shy oto, Teddy. To find him, I really have to look for him rather than just glancing by and seeing him all the time like I do with my tetras. It makes me appreciate my tank more and when Teddy is out and about it makes me really excited! There are some awesome benefits to shy fishes. If you wanted a centerpiece fish I think a honey gourami would do very well in your tank.

Kuhli loaches love to graze and sift through sand to find food, and they even filter sand through their gills!! Sand is ideal. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 9:16 PM, clownbaby said:

Hillstream loaches aren't really exclusive bottom dwellers. Like plecos they like to cling and suck on glass and rocks to eat biofilm and algae. They are moreso 'everywhere' dwellers.

Kuhli loaches are smaller than you think. 4 inches is a max length and even then they're usually shorter than that. 6 in a 29 gallon is super easy. I would recommend some more plants - not only does the cover make kuhlis more comfortable, [when you are able to spot them] they look amazing weaving through grassy leaved plants such as tenellus. 

How much filtration are you running? What kind of filters? Co2 injection? What kind of substrate do you have? 

If you were to put 6 or 7 kuhlis and 3 hillstream loaches in your tank in addition to the 12 minnows, your tank would be ~75% stocked, so still understocked. And in terms of "activity", you aren't really going to see your kuhlis much. If you do happen to get active kuhlis, that is pretty rare! They are pretty secretive and startled easy. For me, this is one of my favorite thing about them. Similar with my shy oto, Teddy. To find him, I really have to look for him rather than just glancing by and seeing him all the time like I do with my tetras. It makes me appreciate my tank more and when Teddy is out and about it makes me really excited! There are some awesome benefits to shy fishes. If you wanted a centerpiece fish I think a honey gourami would do very well in your tank.

Kuhli loaches love to graze and sift through sand to find food, and they even filter sand through their gills!! Sand is ideal. 

No co2 or anything like that.  Filtration is a Seachem Tidal 55 with an ACO prefilled sponge.  Inside is 2 layers of Seachem course sponge, polishing pad, purigen, and Seachem Matrix.  I also have a medium ACO sponge filter on the side opposite the Tidal.  My substrate is pea pebbles.  I may do valisnaria in there as well but wanted to start small since I never did live plants before.

I also like the idea of a gourami...I was looking at some powder blue dwarfs but read the temperature may not be suitable.  

Edited by rydin4life

On 9/25/2024 at 8:38 PM, rydin4life said:

No co2 or anything like that.  Filtration is a Seachem Tidal 55 with an ACO prefilled sponge.  Inside is 2 layers of Seachem course sponge, polishing pad, purigen, and Seachem Matrix.  I also have a medium ACO sponge filter on the side opposite the Tidal.  My substrate is pea pebbles.  I may do valisnaria in there as well but wanted to start small since I never did live plants before.

I also like the idea of a gourami...I was looking at some powder blue dwarfs but read the temperature may not be suitable.  

Valis is SUPER easy to grow and very adaptable! Go for it! 

I would recommend to add some areas of sand if you're going to get kuhlis. They would really appreciate it. 

For temperature, I think 73 - 76 f is a good range, which would be okay for powder blues, but if you plan to keep the temp at 70 or so that is a bit too chilly for em. 

On 9/26/2024 at 10:54 AM, clownbaby said:

Valis is SUPER easy to grow and very adaptable! Go for it! 

I would recommend to add some areas of sand if you're going to get kuhlis. They would really appreciate it. 

For temperature, I think 73 - 76 f is a good range, which would be okay for powder blues, but if you plan to keep the temp at 70 or so that is a bit too chilly for em. 

Thanks!  My temp is 73.8 - 74.2 daily so I should be in good shape.