Flourite Black Sand for Bottom Dwellers?

Mercfh

I'm wanting to upgrade my tank from 55g to 75g and i've been wanting to switch to a black sand (I'm currently using an eco-complete tan sand). I thought about doing Seachem Flourite sand however i've heard mixed things on whether it's too "sharp" for bottom dwellers like corys. Has anyone used this successfully with bottom dwellers? (IE: loaches/corys/pleco's/etc...)

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 8:54 AM, Mercfh said:

I'm wanting to upgrade my tank from 55g to 75g and i've been wanting to switch to a black sand (I'm currently using an eco-complete tan sand). I thought about doing Seachem Flourite sand however i've heard mixed things on whether it's too "sharp" for bottom dwellers like corys. Has anyone used this successfully with bottom dwellers? (IE: loaches/corys/pleco's/etc...)

Thanks!

This is my favorite: Activ Flora (Black)

IMG_1678.jpeg.3dd3e0f3cba56ac1fe665c6feb8235a5.jpeg

It will cost you a lot. (ca. $25 / 16 lbs) You must be very explicit about _Black_ Activ Flora. It comes in a variety of colors.

Lay on top of a 2-inch base of well-washed Black Diamond Blasting sand to lower costs. (ca. $13 / 50 lbs) — I prefer the “fine” BDBS (red patches on bag sides). Look for it at Tractor Supply. Be ready to spend hours washing out slag dust in 5-gal pail / tub. But the result is nice.

IMG_1679.jpeg.82c5eb93a2b6b1684d07dd72be1c42fe.jpeg 

As for your concern about Corydoras getting injured on “sharp” substrate, etc… I am increasingly convinced this is _not_ actually the key problem. More frequently it is poor tank management, allowing infections to thrive in the benthic regions of the aquarium. 

• Like 1

I have fluorite sand. It seems fine for my reticulated hillstream loaches, although they typically hang on the glass.

I also have roseline sharks, siameae algae eaters and a rainbow shark who will eat at the bottom with their barbels and I haven't noticed any injuries from the sand.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 8:54 AM, Mercfh said:

Thanks!

Yup. Used it for years. Love it as a product, especially for plants. You can vacc it, but only after you’ve thoroughly washed it before use (and I mean thoroughllllllly) and it’s been in the tank for a bit. It will cloud the water a bit when you vacc, but that clears in short time.