Blue Velvet shrimp giving off brown babies.

jefferz

It's pretty common for blues to throw browns and even greens. I believe they originally came from blue based chocolates. From what I've experienced, Blues are some of the most unpredictable/unstable lines I've seen. Don't be discouraged though, those browns still carry the genes to produce blues down the road, and if you're willing to work with them, you can bring the blue back out. 

I just got a new generation of little blues from some of my muddy brown/originally blue line. I haven't really worked with them and haven't been culling for awhile though. 

20201123_220942.jpg.7a033f3ebd113c87eb81dca8e9dbd4a4.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lynze said:

It's pretty common for blues to throw browns and even greens. I believe they originally came from blue based chocolates. From what I've experienced, Blues are some of the most unpredictable/unstable lines I've seen. Don't be discouraged though, those browns still carry the genes to produce blues down the road, and if you're willing to work with them, you can bring the blue back out. 

I just got a new generation of little blues from some of my muddy brown/originally blue line. I haven't really worked with them and haven't been culling for awhile though. 

20201123_220942.jpg.7a033f3ebd113c87eb81dca8e9dbd4a4.jpg

Do I want to cull the brown ones then?

I had the same thing happen when I got my first batch of blue dream shrimp about five years ago, I was getting all shades of blue, greens, browns, black and reds. I talked to Rob from Flip aquatics at a local club event and he told me that the blues will throw all the different colors because that is how they all descended. I have been working with my shrimp lines since then, sorting and culling them regularly, and have a strong line of bloody mary that produce almost pure red, once in a while I'll get a red rilli, and a good line of blue velvet that produce some really nice royal blue color shrimp regularly. I have to fill the blue more often though as I will still get darker navy blue and black shrimps. I have a 40 breeder I throw all my culls in and they just go crazy, it's literally a Skittles tank. Earlier this fall I picked up some nice golden back yellows that I have going and I have thrown a few of the lighter colored ones in the cull tank and waiting to see what happens by introducing them into the mix. When the local clubs were holding auctions, I would just take random scoops out of the cull tank and people would go crazy for them, maybe because they got all the different colors in one bag, I'm not sure.

• Like 1