Wcmm fish breeding.

Whitecloud09

Hi guys, hope your day is going good thus far, I had a Q,

Ik I can watch a YT video on breeding white cloud minnows but I wanna know if anyone has tips from experince, thinking of breeding, and wondering what I need. I have a 10g aquarium, with 5 minnows, (4 males and 1 female) and was wondering if that could work. So any people that breed for profit here? TIA!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have a topic posted on this forum where I asked and received help in breeding them. Also if you look around I believe Whitecloudynasty has a journal where he explains how to breed them. They are pretty straight forward to breed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/16/2024 at 9:32 PM, JE47 said:

I have a topic posted on this forum where I asked and received help in breeding them. Also if you look around I believe Whitecloudynasty has a journal where he explains how to breed them. They are pretty straight forward to breed.

Oh I forgot about @WhitecloudDynasty too for breeding WCMMs. Thank you @JE47. I will search the forum.

• Like 2

TBH I only bred mine when I removed the parents. I have 30 fish in the big tank 150 liter, I see them spawning, even now, they are all huddled together, most likely eating the eggs. I even have so much moss and plants and still, no babies in this tank. Maybe due to too many adults, maybe due to flow. But I would take 4-5 adults, 2 female, 3 males, put them in any empty tank for 24 hours, remove them (they are so easily caught too, they keep swimming into stuff I hold) and within 5 days I would have fry. The fry stays on the surfavce almost exclusively for some time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2024 at 9:29 AM, beastie said:

TBH I only bred mine when I removed the parents. I have 30 fish in the big tank 150 liter, I see them spawning, even now, they are all huddled together, most likely eating the eggs. I even have so much moss and plants and still, no babies in this tank. Maybe due to too many adults, maybe due to flow. But I would take 4-5 adults, 2 female, 3 males, put them in any empty tank for 24 hours, remove them (they are so easily caught too, they keep swimming into stuff I hold) and within 5 days I would have fry. The fry stays on the surfavce almost exclusively for some time.

So to get them to breed. Add more plants, or just hope they do? Get another female? And remove them. Thank you

~Whitecloud09

• Like 2

You may need more female and less males.

2 pair is a good start. If you have a very good active male then all you need is him and 2 female. I normally put the 2nd male just to keep him busy.

I would leave them in the aquarium til you see fry before you pull them out

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/20/2024 at 3:24 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

You may need more female and less males.

2 pair is a good start. If you have a very good active male then all you need is him and 2 female. I normally put the 2nd male just to keep him busy.

I would leave them in the aquarium til you see fry before you pull them out

Thank you so much! Yesterday I was just watching you breed them on your YT channel @WhitecloudDynasty! So, why do you think they have not bred in my 10g yet? Hob and plants (live). Is it because there is only one female and 4 males? Thank you again.

On 8/20/2024 at 9:10 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

Hang on the back filter? 

Yup that's what HOB typically stands for. 

I'm also curious - I have Golden White Clouds, mostly males, in a 100g with good flow and several other fish. So far I've lost 2 females, no disease to be seen, but it did look like they had eggs. I have one female left that looks packed with eggs, but even though I feed lots of frozen food and baby brines, and have a heavily planted tank with lots of areas to spawn in - nothing yet. I do have a 10 gallon hospital tank with a bare bottom and some plants - I wonder if moving a female and a couple males in there would do it. 

• Like 1

Get a small basket and some pool noodle. Glue the noddle to the basket. Place the potential parent and basket in an empty tank for a few days. The eggs should fall through the basket and away from the parents to be eaten. Make sure the tank has plenty of film growing. That's the basics of any egg spawner breeding. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 10:46 AM, gabdewulf said:

Get a small basket and some pool noodle. Glue the noddle to the basket. Place the potential parent and basket in an empty tank for a few days. The eggs should fall through the basket and away from the parents to be eaten. Make sure the tank has plenty of film growing. That's the basics of any egg spawner breeding. 

Thank you very much! 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 4:47 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

So, why do you think they have not bred in my 10g yet

I would assume that the parents would have quickly eaten any fertilized eggs. I used a five gallon plastic tub which I filled with spawning mops, a sponge filter, and the ratio of males to females that whitecloudynasty suggested here. I quickly had fry I only kept the parents in the tank for about three days before I pulled the parents and it was a few days after that I began to see young fry. Not saying this is how you should do it just that this is how I did it.

• Like 1

The hob will suck up all the babies even with a sponge on the inlet.  Baby guppies is fine but baby whitecloud is too small and weak as newborn.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:42 AM, MattyM said:

Yup that's what HOB typically stands for. 

I'm also curious - I have Golden White Clouds, mostly males, in a 100g with good flow and several other fish. So far I've lost 2 females, no disease to be seen, but it did look like they had eggs. I have one female left that looks packed with eggs, but even though I feed lots of frozen food and baby brines, and have a heavily planted tank with lots of areas to spawn in - nothing yet. I do have a 10 gallon hospital tank with a bare bottom and some plants - I wonder if moving a female and a couple males in there would do it. 

Too much males won't work, they'll be too aggressive toward her and they just pick on each other(all thr male) the whole time

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2024 at 7:24 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

That should work but if it's a newly setup aquarium the eggs could go bad

Oh huh. That is weird. Well I am just getting a general idea here. Not gonna do nothing until late winter. Seems like a long long time but I am doing this for many reasons. Thanks so much.

On 8/21/2024 at 12:55 AM, JE47 said:

I would assume that the parents would have quickly eaten any fertilized eggs. I used a five gallon plastic tub which I filled with spawning mops, a sponge filter, and the ratio of males to females that whitecloudynasty suggested here. I quickly had fry I only kept the parents in the tank for about three days before I pulled the parents and it was a few days after that I began to see young fry. Not saying this is how you should do it just that this is how I did it.

Cool! Thank you @JE47.

On 8/21/2024 at 7:15 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

The hob will suck up all the babies even with a sponge on the inlet.  Baby guppies is fine but baby whitecloud is too small and weak as newborn.

Too much males won't work, they'll be too aggressive toward her and they just pick on each other(all thr male) the whole time

Thanks !