Methalyne blue

Munkyaquatix

Here is what I would do

Angelfish lay eggs

Take the eggs out into a fry grow out (dean uses little food containers for the first week or two of their life. and use methane blue to keep fungal from the eggs

1-2 week old fry move to 10gallon

Yes, you can use methayne blue on fish eggs.

• Thanks 1

If pulling eggs the meth blue typically goes in the hatching jars only.

Slate upside down with airstone in 1 gal jar tank water + meth blue.

24hrs transfer slate to new jar with aged water and meth blue. This step not always necessary. But can help with less sorting of unfertilized eggs later as they will be the only ones to fall off the slate once you get the airflow right. 

Jars and meth blue ends once they become wrigglers. 

Then you decide your final rearing method through trial and error with the fry trays, fry tanks, tumbler, ziss breeder box, marina hang on box, angels plus jars, etc.

I was attempting to use the angels plus rearing jars but prefer the ziss stuff that co-op sells. I built a dean inspired fry tray tank with a 10g but it's hard to beat the ziss box. Can go in any tank or be removed when not needed.

Try them all and good luck.

S1

Edited by s1_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Inexperienced breeder here... but did just find success using hydrogen peroxide in very small quantities instead of M.blue for a batch of angel fry. If you’re interested, you can see how we did it here:

I have used hydrogen peroxide as well with good success. I've used a couple drops in a container with about a quart of water and it has worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our general measurement is 1 ml. per gallon every 12 hrs, for the first 36 or 48 hrs (so 3x or 4x doses). Since we hatch in the Lee's large specimen containers which measure about 1/2 gallon, we use 1/2 ml doses. On one occasion using H2O2 with Ram eggs, we overdid it and they did not make it. With a bubbler being used, the Hydrogen peroxide can be sprayed generally in the container rather than blasted right on top of the eggs. 

• 2 weeks later...

As a biological option, I like to use cherry shrimp with eggs. They will pick the fungus off eggs, remove unfertilized eggs, and won’t harm babies or fertilized eggs (shells get “harder”). No chemical option 🙂

Edited by AdamTill
  • Like 2