Cutting Val runners.

Should I cut them? Or can I mean. I have standard valisernaria. I mean the part between the mother plant and the next. And the next and then next and so on and so forth 😉. Thanks the part in the middle of the

35D482F0-839A-4766-BF34-139F6D2CCC05.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09

So recently, Val has become a recent interest of mine and how to make it look nice as quickly as possible. There’s a couple of options I’ve noticed that currently works for me. If I want to keep a contained group of Val, I cut the runners so the main portion becomes thicker and more full. However, if I want to achieve the same effect quicker, I don’t cut the runners, but will pull them up, bend the runner and plant the runner at the main group. It will seemingly look like the main group and the runner grows more quickly attached to the main portion. I will let this continue until I have a fat group. Any additional runners that may exceed the size I want, I’ll cut and discard so all additional crowns thicken. If I want a more walled effect, I’ll move the runners in the direction I want and then weave them back and forth making sure to never cut the runners. If I cut runners, every plant section uncut does better than a runner separated from the original crown. Once I have the effect I want, I will immediately cut any runner I see so the entire chain is forced to grow more leaves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 5:27 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

So recently, Val has become a recent interest of mine and how to make it look nice as quickly as possible. There’s a couple of options I’ve noticed that currently works for me. If I want to keep a contained group of Val, I cut the runners so the main portion becomes thicker and more full. However, if I want to achieve the same effect quicker, I don’t cut the runners, but will pull them up, bend the runner and plant the runner at the main group. It will seemingly look like the main group and the runner grows more quickly attached to the main portion. I will let this continue until I have a fat group. Any additional runners that may exceed the size I want, I’ll cut and discard so all additional crowns thicken. If I want a more walled effect, I’ll move the runners in the direction I want and then weave them back and forth making sure to never cut the runners. If I cut runners, every plant section uncut does better than a runner separated from the original crown. Once I have the effect I want, I will immediately cut any runner I see so the entire chain is forced to grow more leaves.

This is great info. Sorry for SUPER late reply, but thank you @Mmiller2001.

• Like 1