One Cory passed away at night.

Rohan Patil

A cory had crossed the rainbow bridge when I looked into the tank this morning. She looked bruised. No white spots or anything. I added some new fish (purchased from Aquarium Coop local store) yesterday night.

• pH - 6.4
  • Nitrates - 5-10ppm
  • Hardness - 2
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Ammonia - 0
  • KH/Buffer - 2d
  • Water Temperature - 74

2CF8C884-DCD4-40BF-A8CE-E94CDB4401C4.jpeg

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, James Black said:

The ph is a low for the corydora, corys like at 7-8ppm. I don't what could have caused the fishes death, sometimes these can be the toughest of deaths. 

Hi James, do all corys like pH over 7? I would like some for my main tank which is 6.6.

I disagree that all Corydoras prefer pH from 7-8. Many corys tolerate a wide pH range (say 6-7.5/8). Many are tank raised and will be well-adapted to local tap. Others may be wild-caught from South America. The Cory species that I am aware of actually have sub-7 pH in the wild more frequently than pH above 7, coming from soft water South American rivers and streams. Of course there are many different species with many different sets of preferences. I have kept Cory’s as low as 6.4 and as high as 7.8 without any issues.

Edited by IanB
Fixed typo

2 minutes ago, IanB said:

Many corys tolerate a wide pH range (say 6-7.5/8). Many are rank raised and will be well-adapted to local tap.

My experience with Corydoras is that they are very hardy and will tolerate a very wide range of pH.

I just thumbed through my copy of Ian Fuller's 'Breeding Corydoradine Catfishes' and it looks like the typical range for breeding across about 100 species of Corydoras is between 6.5 and 7.5 pH.

IMG_2786.JPG.5fd96d6a5267fabeb2b0d4a907109814.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MEWaters said:

is this from Dean's Peru wild stock? If so, that pH shouldn't be an issue unless a major swing from ACO?

any more of them in tank? doing ok? raise temp a hair? 

Not from master Dean's stock. Yeah there are others in the tank acting silly and digging stuff up. Being a bunch o cowards when I approach the tank.

i will raise temperature a bit.

18 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

Red Blotch disease?  Never heard of it.  What can you share about it?  Treatment? Cause?

Don't know too much, unfortunately. It's an opportunistic infection like finrot that can occur in vulnerable fish: 

corydoras500-1.jpg
PETCENTRAL.CHEWY.COM

Pet Central explores diagnosing and treating Red blotch disease in Corydoras Catfish.

Red blotch 'disease' may not be a disease as much as the after effects of self poisoning. The red blotches often seen in recently moved Corydoras are a well known symptom of self poisoning. It doesn't appear the author of the article linked above was aware of this phenomena. See snip below:

image.png.668590ff2aa93ac0490dd35869ecd475.png

Self poisoning is not a suspect in the sad death of @Rohan Patil's fish above however.

• Thanks 1