White ball coming out of guppy anus

Samuel Raga

So Ive noticed one of my guppy fry has this thing coming out of his anus and I dont know what it is. I treated the tank with fritz para cleanse because some of my females have wasting disease but they dont really seem to be doing bettee after about a week after treatment. Here is the picture of the fry, if anyone could help me identify what it is I would appreciate it a lot :) (by the way all the pictures are the same fish, just really hard to catch on camera)

A44B19E9-DBA8-4018-81B6-4B8EB50DD99C.jpeg

CE2E412D-9AEB-408C-9863-D71DD795F023.jpeg

B71CD7A9-0B86-4F80-B7F3-94772E3405B6.jpeg

8C2D5C4E-7B2C-423E-948C-33F26E2EF894.jpeg

850C1DF7-5D59-4519-BD01-E8E44514A093.jpeg

9795654C-B4C2-493B-88BD-2854C08DA89E.jpeg

74C3EEC8-A742-4818-A625-940E8A0A4A86.jpeg

4453B169-83E0-405C-AE49-D4FCB7B08247.jpeg

F87CCFC7-3B60-4664-ABC5-87B0D13E245F.jpeg

52312E74-F7FB-4831-B7D7-AD96ADD46992.jpeg

A53D7AF8-919B-4BB7-B709-6E8C3353D2C4.jpeg

6AD0DEBA-526F-4A51-91B5-8C2B16763B6A.jpeg

• Administrators

What are the water parameters of your tank? Looks like you may have a low pH issue going on as well? Is it all live plants in there as salt would likely clear up most things with these guppies. Otherwise it could be a prolapse causing this on this specific guppy.

1 hour ago, Cory said:

What are the water parameters of your tank? Looks like you may have a low pH issue going on as well? Is it all live plants in there as salt would likely clear up most things with these guppies. Otherwise it could be a prolapse causing this on this specific guppy.

Nitrate 0, nitrite 0, GH 300ppm+  KH 120-180 ppm, pH looks like 7.8 to 8.4 The only reason I havent used salt or anything its because I also keep shrimp and a lot of snails, but I have seachem equilibrium, I dont know if that would work the same way.... does salt affect shrimp and snails?

image.jpg

10 hours ago, Cory said:

It can affect them. Just looks like something may be going on with the skin of that fish as well. Do you have a qt tank you can put it in with salt?

I dont have a quarantine tank, the skin looks fine, it might be the camera quality, Ill be looking out for it and if it stays like that for another couple of days I will buy some salt and get a quarantine tank thanks cory!!

Interesting.  One of my fry, a few months old, is showing the same.  I dropped her in a quarantine tank with meds, but haven’t seen any improvements.

I will grab a pic and post for further knowledge transfer.  

• Thanks 1

I have a little one growing out with the same issue. I always assumed that it was yolk sac that didn't absorb properly. I expect that the guppy probably won't live as long as the others, but right now, it is eating and thriving. So I just let it be. It has no other skin or fin issues.

• Thanks 1

Follow up on this, I treated them with fritz para cleanse but it didnt do anything. I went ahead and bought levamisole and I will try that next. If that doesnt work I will set up a quarantine tank and try using salt like cory recommended, the babies are doing alright, some are growing fast but some arent, 3 of my females are still skinny but they try to keep up since I feed them frequently to keep them "healty" since they have parasites. I hope they get better with levamisole and I hope I dont mess it up with the dosing, I will update soon, and btw one of my females also had this white thing on her anus and then it retracted as the day went by, Im guessing its a stronger type of parasite and thats why Im trying levamisole next. Thanks for the replies and if anyone else has had experience with stuff like this please let me know, Im more than happy and open to ideas and recommendations. 

In these pics you can see, the female with orange fins is really skinny, and in the other pic you can see a fat healty (probably pregnant) female right next to another one that is not so good, like I said, I feel like there is still time to save them, but its been a hard time for me to see them like this 😞

image.jpg

image.jpg

If your adult female also had this same issue but it retracted, it could be a parasite—or it could be a prolapse of their intestines like Cory mentioned. That’s my best guess based on the picture and what I’ve read, but I don’t have any experience with prolapses or parasites so take it with a... grain of salt. 😜

I’ve read/heard that salt can help the prolapse retract back into the body, so I’d recommend setting up that quarantine tank if you can.

Also keep in mind that this could be a sign that your female is passing on “prolapse-prone” genes to her babies, if both she and this baby have had prolapses. If the issue crops up with her babies in the future, then you’ll have a better idea.

These pics really aren’t any good, but you will get the idea.  She has an appetite and eats.  But, does seem a little lethargic.  Also stays thin even after eating whereas other fish may plump up a bit right after feeding. 

(pics ended upside down.  I may have to rotate or delete)

4888CB27-CA1A-4836-B2FC-53D549976C3C.jpeg.e6834a159554d663ebf6f0313711d9bd.jpeg29851705-CE86-461F-A46F-35B4E1027B69.jpeg.2e15c9c2f45f8d2dea1794810c441ebc.jpeg

Edited by Wags
Pics upside down.

6 hours ago, Wags said:
6 hours ago, Wags said:

These pics really aren’t any good, but you will get the idea.  She has an appetite and eats.  But, does seem a little lethargic.  Also stays thin even after eating whereas other fish may plump up a bit right after feeding. 

(pics ended upside down.  I may have to rotate or delete)

4888CB27-CA1A-4836-B2FC-53D549976C3C.jpeg.e6834a159554d663ebf6f0313711d9bd.jpeg29851705-CE86-461F-A46F-35B4E1027B69.jpeg.2e15c9c2f45f8d2dea1794810c441ebc.jpeg

Interesting, really dont know what it is, I keep researching every day while I wait for levamisole to arrive.

• 1 month later...

With prolapse, I have treated it with epsom salt dip (not adding those into the tank though).

I separated the one with intestine out fish and put in specimen container and 3 times a day I take that fish to the bucket with epsom salt (1 gallon water+prime+epsom salt 1 tbs) and let the fish in the dip like 10-15 min and take him out to the quarantine tank/specimen container and usually, 1-2 days, the spot retract.If the tummy was flat, I used Everything Aquatic's Anti parasite Duo and all is good.

I know it is old topic but if you were not finding how to treat them, I thought I would leave how I did with  prolapse thing with our fish.

Hope your fish got better.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hey I have the same problem but a lily worse so far I've seen 5 guppies that have had the weird anus thing and some of them have white fuzzy stuff attached to it. I don't know what to really do. I do have small snails in the tank but would salt really harm them and would salt really help? 

54 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Do I put Epsom salt in the whole tank? It's a 40 gallon and would it effect my tiny snails? And I've had at least 3 other fish with this all have died within a day 

I would add 1 table spoon for 1 gallon of epsom salt  in a bucket mix it till it's desolved put guppy in bucket for No more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day that definitely looks like fungus epsom salt will also help with fungal infections did your other fish that died have the same thing going on

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...