Test Strip Accuracy??

DavidR

I've always questioned the accuracy of test strips and have often times received weird results from them.

Yesterday, I tested my display tank for nitrates. I'm trying to keep it at a level of nitrates adequate for good plant growth. I figured this would be ideal for the test strips as I could easily test it daily. My test strip showed zero nitrates in the tank. While this tank doesn't have a huge bio-load, I do add fertilizer regularly so this result didn't seem plausible. I pulled out my API Master test kit which revealed a level of 80 ppm.

Are these test strips just completely worthless or is it just me? Is there another way for me to quickly and easily test nitrates in a tank?

• Like 1

I test with both API and Tetra strips almost everyday on multiple aquariums. I don't how well the strips work for nitrates. I know they often differ from what my API liquid test shows, but I am not sure how to interpret this.

@Cory compared the two in the video:

There are other makers of strips like Hach also:

WWW.COLEPARMER.COM

Buy Hach NITRATE STRIPS Nitrate and Nitrite Test Strips, 25 and more from our comprehensive selection of Hach Water Quality Test Strips

• Like 1

I have a pretty heavily stocked and planted 10g filtered through a hydroponic bed of basil and my nitrite and nitrate levels are always at zero. I'm still more of a gardener than a fish keeper (but not for long!) and I think this is a good sign. It means that your plants (and probably algae) are making full use of those nitrates and could stand some more. If nothing's looking sick, your plants are growing well, algae's in check and phosphates are in check, you're doing well!

• Like 1