Airstone on 24/7 vs just night

Rycraft

I was running the airstone 24/7 but have to admit I like the tank being a little quieter (it's in our living room) during the day time/early evening.  I was thinking of just running it at night when the aquarium light is off. Are there any pros or cons to 24/7 vs just at night?  Our aquaclear 50 does a great job of filtering but I thought some extra surface disturbance never hurts.

I realize the airstone is likely to build up with algae quicker if it's not on all the time but I don't mind giving it a scrub every month or so to make sure it's clear.

We run the tank around 76-77 degrees so not too hot.  We have a very lightly planted tank currently. Some floating water sprite, a small java fern, and some Christmas moss. I think we will eventually add some hornwort or some other stem plants but that won't be any time soon. Still learning the ropes on aquarium plants. 

Edited by Rycraft

7 minutes ago, Rycraft said:

I was running the airstone 24/7 but have to admit I like the tank being a little quieter (it's in our living room) during the day time/early evening.  I was thinking of just running it at night when the aquarium light is off. Are there any pros or cons to 24/7 vs just at night?  Our aquaclear 50 does a great job of filtering but I thought some extra surface disturbance never hurts.

I realize the airstone is likely to build up with algae quicker if it's not on all the time but I don't mind giving it a scrub every month or so to make sure it's clear.

We have a very lightly planted tank currently. Some floating water sprite, a small java fern, and some Christmas moss. I think we will eventually add some hornwort or some other stem plants but that won't be any time soon. Still learning the ropes on aquarium plants. 

I do this in my display tanks for that exact reason, plus I run CO2 in a couple of them during the day. Also, the water looks a lot clearer without the air stones stirring up debris. I run them at night, for like 10 hours max. I have a dissolved oxygen test and have confirmed that oxygen levels never drop to anything close to dangerous even after a day of running CO2. 

As far as algae growth, I use the neverclog air stones and they have... never clogged. 

Edit: My tanks are all heavily planted, so ymmv.

Edited by StephenP2003
  • Like 1