Water Aeration

KBOzzie59

Thanks for sharing that! I like this part:

"Oxygenation barges[edit]

During heavy rain, London's sewage storm pipes overflow into the River Thames, sending dissolved oxygen levels plummeting and threatening the species it supports.[14] Two dedicated McTay Marine vessels, oxygenation barges Thames Bubbler and Thames Vitality are used to replenish oxygen levels, as part of an ongoing battle to clean up the river, which now supports 115 species of fish and hundreds more invertebrates, plants and birds.[14]"

If Cory makes a trip to the UK, maybe he can visit the Thames Bubbler!

Yes, there are quite a few man made and even natural bodies of water that are artificially oxygenated. Bubble diffusers seem to be the most common method.

Also interesting: after the oil embargo, energy became expensive so wastewater treatment plants switched from surface to bubble aeration which is several times more efficient. Yet in the aquarium surface agitation is king...

• Like 1

The community I live in is known for it's canals (glorified storm drains). Before aerators were put in them the water column was stratified with a substantive anaerobic extremely low pH bottom level with a large build up of dead plant material and poor visibility. Since the installation the water clarity has greatly improved, the stratification of the water column is gone as is the deep level of dead plants add to it more normal pH and increased wildlife.

1 hour ago, Streetwise said:

Thanks for sharing that! I like this part:

"Oxygenation barges[edit]

During heavy rain, London's sewage storm pipes overflow into the River Thames, sending dissolved oxygen levels plummeting and threatening the species it supports.[14] Two dedicated McTay Marine vessels, oxygenation barges Thames Bubbler and Thames Vitality are used to replenish oxygen levels, as part of an ongoing battle to clean up the river, which now supports 115 species of fish and hundreds more invertebrates, plants and birds.[14]"

If Cory makes a trip to the UK, maybe he can visit the Thames Bubbler!

When did they bubbler go in?  Probably long after I left in 1986.

1 hour ago, Coronal Mass Ejection Carl said:

Yes, there are quite a few man made and even natural bodies of water that are artificially oxygenated. Bubble diffusers seem to be the most common method.

Also interesting: after the oil embargo, energy became expensive so wastewater treatment plants switched from surface to bubble aeration which is several times more efficient. Yet in the aquarium surface agitation is king...

We are also pulling methane in WWTP's to produce heat and power.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-07/documents/opportunities_for_combined_heat_and_power_at_wastewater_treatment_facilities_market_analysis_and_lessons_from_the_field.pdf

21 hours ago, Coronal Mass Ejection Carl said:

..wastewater treatment plants switched from surface to bubble aeration which is several times more efficient. Yet in the aquarium surface agitation is king...

I think there is a curve in the maths on water volume for surface agitation's effectiveness at increasing dissolved oxygen. Most fish tanks fall under that curve at ~500gallons would be my uneducated guess. But also, wonder if the waste water treatment plants found bubble aeration better. It could be that they had big surface splashing machines, and of course any bubbling would be better than that. Not sure though.

This seems to be an interesting thing that i have never seen in an aquarium. 1kw is a bit high I think LOL "around 2 kgO2/kw":

The low speed surface aerator is a device for biology aeration with high efficiency. Those devices are often in steel protected by epoxy coating and generate high torque. The mixing of water volume is excellent. The common power is going from 1 up to 250kw per unit with an efficiency (SOE) around 2 kgO2/kw. Low speed aerator are used mostly for biology plant aeration for water purification. The higher the diameter, the higher the SOE and mixing.

Yeah, thinking there is a scale factor here that cuts the number between what would work depending on volume.