Easy Green

Some people feel that Carbon absorbs the fertilizer.

I am not convinced it does.  It certainly doesnt adsorb nitrates to any appreciable amount in my tanks, and I havent noticed any difference in plant growth or leaf shape of new growth when I run carbon in the tanks.

Better question is what do you want to run activated carbon for?  I use Purigen in my planted tanks personally which is cheaper than running carbon continually.   I do use carbon in my quarantine tanks after running meds and doing a water change to scavenge remaining meds…

• Like 1

It’s a synthetic resin that removes organic substances and nitrogen from your water. It helps keep water crystal clear. You can use it in a canister filter, HOB, or a sump. I’m sure there’s other methods too. 
I personally never used it, but it’s very popular. 

On 7/14/2024 at 7:18 PM, Evan Baker said:

What does the purigen do? 

It does a lot of the things activated carbon does.  It removes tannins and medication from the water making it clearer and not have colors from tannins and humic acids.  Ie, it cleans out that dingy yellowish green cast or brown cast from woods etc…

That much is pretty accepted by most people.

Some claims it absorbs nitrogenous waste from plant metabolism and lock it up so it doesnt break down into Nitrates… and hence can reduce rise in nitrates in a tank vs not having it..

I have no idea if that is true to any practical effect, but I dont use it for that reason.  I use to keep the water looking nice and clear…  I pull the bag out monthly and put a new bag in and then use bleach to recharge the removed pouch and then  store it in a container in the fridge filled with water and dechlorinator.  That way a pouch is ready to replace at the end of the month…