Is this Java Moss or Algae

Hi Everyone,

My tank is very mature (3 or 4 years). Injected CO2 from 5:30 am to 1:15 pm. Lights on from 8:30 to 2:15 pm.

Gh and Kh around 4 dGh. pH goes from 7 to 5.3 or something …

Dry fertilization.

My Hairgrass was amazing (pic 1) but since some time, I have seeing Java moss popping up around the tank. 

I spent 2 weeks out of the city and now I have this thing in the middle of the grass.

do you think this is algae or Java moss ?

Thank you

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

IMG_3249.jpeg

• Like 1

Do you guys think it’s is hair algae ? Do you prefer I take a better picture so you can help me to find out? Not sure if this pic is good enough 

thank you so so so much 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 4:51 PM, Marcelo said:

Do you guys think it’s is hair algae ? Do you prefer I take a better picture so you can help me to find out? Not sure if this pic is good enough 

thank you so so so much 

I would like to see a up close photo of the algae if possible @Marcelo. But i am really getting some hair algae vibes right now. 

Hope this helps!

On 7/13/2024 at 12:47 PM, Marcelo said:

@JoeQ do you think it’s BBA? I have the feeling that BBA is more like Micro bushes now?

Because I get the same algae on my moss.  I consider it BBA because of its tuft like appearance instead of individual hairs.

• Like 1

Did long slime like hairs get pulled from this mass before you got a picture? If that was the case then yes I can see it being a filimentous algae similar to blanket weed. But without long(er) hairs IMO its more similar to BBA.  Regardless of its name, most algaes have the same basic triggers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1