Why do an airstone when you can do a sponge filter?

CanadaAmanda

I've had aquariums for a long time, but never started down the nerm path until more recently - as such, I didn't know about anything other than HOB filters.  I put an airstone in my 29gallon, love the bubbles, great agitation.  BUT.... now that I'm reading up on sponge filters and the fear of power outage with HOB while out of town for a weekend has bene put into me (hasn't ever happened to me in over 15 years of keeping tanks, but bound to at some point) why would I run a bare airstone instead of a sponge filter (or some other internal type filter run on air)... I mean additional surface area for bacteria seems like it can never be a bad thing, anything that runs on air can be easily powered during an outage and if you're not home it comes back on seamlessly.

The only down side I see is that my current airstone is in a cool rock decoration and looks like a little black smoker or something with the bubbles coming out, where as a sponge filter I'd want to tuck away a bit more out of sight... 

Thoughts?

@CanadaAmanda in my case i run just air stone that is hidden in under heater. That's because i have let's say scaped tank that is filterd by external canister filter and big black sponge would take too much space and would look bad in my opinion. 

In case i had only fish tank, big fish tank or something like that of course i would choose to put sponge in my air stone.

• Like 1

I agree, I stick sponge filters in all my tanks I like the bubbles, I like the sound so why not have that extra bit of filtration... I guess a lot of people just don’t like the look of one in their display tanks but like bubbles. Also I’m sure a bit of creativity could turn an bubbling tank ornament into some sort of sponge filter 😜

• Like 2

Yeah, to me the ONLY things that are keeping me from using a sponge filter in my tank is the size / bulkyness of it. I want as little equipment in my tank as possible. Even though Cory even came up with green ones, they're still too bulky for me. And the fact that you have to have airline tubing in your tank as well.

If you've got a fish room with multiple tanks....I get it. But for me and my one tank....not up my alley.

But that's what makes this hobby so fun. SOOOO many avenues to do one thing. 

So, for now - sponge filters in my QT. 

NOW...if you could run a sponge filter in your Sump?! THAT would be a game changer. 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff said:

NOW...if you could run a sponge filter in your Sump?! THAT would be a game changer. 

Was watching an older filtration video from aquarium coop today, Cory says something about how all that really matters is surface area for bacteria that is touching water, he also briefly brings up the idea of putting a HOB on a sump.

he says it better than me at around 32:50:

Edited by MattyIce

3 hours ago, Lee626 said:

I agree, I stick sponge filters in all my tanks I like the bubbles, I like the sound so why not have that extra bit of filtration... I guess a lot of people just don’t like the look of one in their display tanks but like bubbles. Also I’m sure a bit of creativity could turn an bubbling tank ornament into some sort of sponge filter 😜

Yes, the look of sponge filters is less than stellar, but so many options for air run filtration!  I am planning to set up a planted bowl or large vase and these options are great... I'm thinking undergravel, small sponge, or one of the other small options to achieve filtration, surface agitation and the bubbly look all in one.

4 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Was watching an older filtration video from aquarium coop today, Cory says something about how all that really matters is surface area for bacteria that is touching water, he also briefly brings up the idea of putting a HOB on a sump.

he says it better than me at around 32:50:

This video is what got me into Aquarium Coop.

4 hours ago, Lee626 said:

Hey @Coryhere's a great idea for a new product! 

Sometimes a sponge filter isn't great when you have fish that will toss it around like a basketball.

Sometimes a sponge filter isn't great when you are struggling with real estate in your tank.

Sometimes a sponge filter isn't great when you are going for a certain aesthetics.

Sometimes you have so much plant matter in your tank that all you might need is mechanical filtration or no filtration at all.

Those are just some reasons I can think of as to why not for a sponge filter.  Personally, I have an airstone in all my tanks.

Happy Holidays!

2 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

Sometimes a sponge filter isn't great when you have fish that will toss it around like a basketball.

Sometimes a sponge filter isn't great when you are struggling with real estate in your tank.

Sometimes a sponge filter isn't great when you are going for a certain aesthetics.

Sometimes you have so much plant matter in your tank that all you might need is mechanical filtration or no filtration at all.

Those are just some reasons I can think of as to why not for a sponge filter.  Personally, I have an airstone in all my tanks.

Happy Holidays!

I agree with all that but I’m going to try them anyway in a planted 29 that I’m in the process of setting up. I bought two medium small ones so I can maybe hide them with plants. I’ll also have a small AquaClear on the back to help.