Gills & Thrills: Chronicles of My Aquatic Crew

shawnkissed

I figured I should jump on the bandwagon and post how things are going for my aquarium. 

It all started on April 2nd of the year 2024. I got all the components to start a capped soil aquarium with no tech. I also scavenged for rocks and pieces of wood along the wash in my area. Visited my LFS and purchased a few plants for this adventure.  Here it's what it looked like that day:

spacer.png

Here is what it looked 5 days later (April 7):

spacer.png

Ah, yes. I couldn't resist but to get more plants. At this point the aquarium is also doing the nitrogen cycle. I added fish food, monitored parameters, and also some hitchhiking snails were there during the process.

By May 9th we had our first residents WCMM. I didn't know I got a male and a female but that's what happened. Things started to get jungle-like and the fish didn't waste time and laid eggs. Out of the 40 fry, 6 survived. The rest died eaten by hydra and planaria. This was great because, well, survival of the fittest and I was not planning on breeding fish.

spacer.png

Here we are, July 5th and I decided I was done with the jungle. Also, there was some staghorn algae that was growing on one of the plants. For some reason only that plant was affected by it (It's the one in the very middle of the tank in the picture above. I don't know the name of the plant, sorry. It looks like a hornwort or coontail but it's not.):

spacer.png

Guess what happened? After this the fish had about a dozen fry, again! They look pretty healthy so I am guessing all 12 or at least another 6 will make it again. Current parameters of the water are:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 
GH - 240ppm (13.5 dH) Arizona water is hard.
KH - 80ppm (4.5 dH)
pH - 6.8

I cut my tap water with RO water (3:2 - RO:tap), otherwise the pH would be 8.6 and the GH and KH would be off the charts. Lets see how things go from here. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/12/2024 at 7:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Cool you were able to scavenge and save some money on your setup. Also it’s fun that you got some fry as well!

Yes 🙂 I live in Arizona so cholla wood is easy to find 😁