Jump to content

Battery backup recommendation for light


Recommended Posts

I have a great question for you I have had 3 small power outages already this year.  2 less than 5 minutes but one was a few hours and I have had to reset my timer for my light each time.  I will add a battery backup but I am looking for any possible recommendations as I start researching for one.

Edited by johnnyxxl
Autocorrect
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm, I tend to have 3-5 micro outages a month…. Just long enough to have to make the rounds resetting clocks.  Microwave clock, boiler control clock, and 8 aquarium light timers…. It is a bit of a pain…

the problem with battery backup for aquarium lights is the energydraw of the lights when on.  On 3 tanks I am running close to 200 watts..  5 hours would be a killowatt…

a killowatt of battery storage is substantial…

I just reset the timers…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know anything about the lights you guys are using. I have the Aqueon Optibright + LED Light Fixtures, Adjustable 48inch. For those looking to get a light this one comes with a wireless remote with two AAA battries and needs no reprogramming. The one quirk is when the power returns the light comes back on full brightness but then ramps down (30 minutes) to where you had it programed. If it ever breaks I would buy it again. As a matter of fact everything on my tank starts right back up. Fluval 407 needs no priming and I have a battery backup air pump.

 For your light to work the way you want I would think a UPS would have to run it.

TOtrees Do you have a link to what you call a smart plug?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 2:09 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

TOtrees Do you have a link to what you call a smart plug?

The one @Rube_Goldfish linked to at ACO works, or anything at your amazon, or local big box, or whatever. Just search for "smart plug". you get a better unit price if you buy a 3 or 6 pack, IMO. You'll need an app on your phone to set up the schedule, and each mfr has its own app. but they're very intuitive and easy to work with. 

One big advantage with smart plugs is you can have multiple "off" times. So my off time might be 1030, but if I feed bbs late like 1015 or so, i want the light on for longer so the fish have time to eat them all before lights out. So at 1030 the light goes out, and i manually turn it back on (bc I'm still there in the fish room), but I have another "off" time set for 1115. If the light is already off at 1115, that has no effect, but if the light is on, it'll turn off. And another at midnight. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 9:46 AM, TOtrees said:

Use a smart plug to control the light instead of the on-board timer. As long as the light remembers what the last setting was when power goes off, you'll be good. 

My problem is I use Nicrew in.ine timer dimmers so light ramps up and ramps down to desired brightness over 15 or 30 minutes…. A wifi timer would not ramp up and ramp down like the nicrew does.

 

I like the ramp up, ramp down feature.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 6:20 PM, Pepere said:

My problem is I use Nicrew in.ine timer dimmers so light ramps up and ramps down to desired brightness over 15 or 30 minutes…. A wifi timer would not ramp up and ramp down like the nicrew does.

 

I like the ramp up, ramp down feature.

That's what I am doing, just never knew I had the short outages as I never have any problems with anything else.  I just have had the light and tank for a few months.  I figured someone else had to have the same issue I am.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 7:34 PM, johnnyxxl said:

That's what I am doing, just never knew I had the short outages as I never have any problems with anything else. 

I know I have issues with it cause my microwave clock goes off Nd the boiler controls with time schedule for heating rooms goes off and needs resetting…. But I reallylike the ramp up ramp down feature on the fish tank lights rather than instant on full brightness.  
 

part of the reason why is because the fish tank lighting is my morning alarm clock.  I wake up to a gradually brightening room like a dawn simulation.  And since I run two 4 hour photo periods, right now the lighting in the tank is gradually ramping down and the room is descending in to twilight….  It signals to my body to rampup melatonin production and prepare to get to sleep.

 

since hitting my 50s sleep hygiene and schedule became very important with same wake up and sleep time and those visual light clues.  Practicing this allows me to get a good nights sleep without waking up and staying awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night like I was doing before instituting.

 

resetting the timers regularly is worth it to me….  Fortunately I never have these short power outages in the night. They always happen in the day while I am gone…

 

fwiw I do have a backup audible alarm on my cell phone just in case I had an outage that screwed up the light timing at night….

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 8:11 PM, Pepere said:

I know I have issues with it cause my microwave clock goes off Nd the boiler controls with time schedule for heating rooms goes off and needs resetting…. But I reallylike the ramp up ramp down feature on the fish tank lights rather than instant on full brightness.  
 

part of the reason why is because the fish tank lighting is my morning alarm clock.  I wake up to a gradually brightening room like a dawn simulation.  And since I run two 4 hour photo periods, right now the lighting in the tank is gradually ramping down and the room is descending in to twilight….  It signals to my body to rampup melatonin production and prepare to get to sleep.

 

since hitting my 50s sleep hygiene and schedule became very important with same wake up and sleep time and those visual light clues.  Practicing this allows me to get a good nights sleep without waking up and staying awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night like I was doing before instituting.

 

resetting the timers regularly is worth it to me….  Fortunately I never have these short power outages in the night. They always happen in the day while I am gone…

 

fwiw I do have a backup audible alarm on my cell phone just in case I had an outage that screwed up the light timing at night….

I will let you know how UPS system search resolves 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...