Ammonia spike

So I have just had an ammonia spike in my tank (around 1-2ppm by the looks of it) and I am wondering what to do. I had literally just done a water change before I found out about the ammonia but I checked my tap and it’s completely free. Can I dose prime to detoxify it and test everyday for the next few days to see if it goes down? If it isn’t gone by tomorrow I’ll do another water change. Also I’ve been told it’s not my cycle that’s crashed because there are no nitrites present - is this correct? Thanks

I’d hit it with some prime and keep an eye on things. If the ammonia spike just happened your bacteria may not have had time to do their thing yet. 

Just be prepared to continually dose the tank with prime and frequent water changes for a little while.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 5:44 PM, Jovius said:

I’d hit it with some prime and keep an eye on things. If the ammonia spike just happened your bacteria may not have had time to do their thing yet. 

Just be prepared to continually dose the tank with prime and frequent water changes for a little while.

Just 3x dosed prime and added some API quick start. What I’ll do is test tomorrow and if the ammonia is gone can I assume my cycle is fine and it was just a random spike?

On 7/8/2024 at 12:48 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Just 3x dosed prime and added some API quick start. What I’ll do is test tomorrow and if the ammonia is gone can I assume my cycle is fine and it was just a random spike?

Extra dechlorinator and another water change, assuming that your tap water isn't the source of the ammonia. Unless you've got fry, maybe skip a day's feeding.

@jwcarlson has a good point about dechlorinator and ammonia tests, though!

I would not trust Prime to "lock up" your ammonia.  It may, but it also may not.  Use it, but pretend that it doesn't work, meaning, make sure that you do water changes.

• Like 2