Rice fish no longer breeding

donnots

Hi. In my old house I had 6 rice fish that were breeding pretty profusely. I moved to a new place and I haven't had any new babies in 3 years. My stock is dwindling and I can't quite figure out why. 

The fish are still laying eggs on my floating mops, but not as much as they used to. I am not seeing any eggs hatch out. Though they might be and I am just missing the fry. 

I have both indoor and outdoor setups. 

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

On 7/6/2024 at 3:03 PM, donnots said:

Hi. In my old house I had 6 rice fish that were breeding pretty profusely. I moved to a new place and I haven't had any new babies in 3 years. My stock is dwindling and I can't quite figure out why. 

The fish are still laying eggs on my floating mops, but not as much as they used to. I am not seeing any eggs hatch out. Though they might be and I am just missing the fry. 

I have both indoor and outdoor setups. 

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Are the water parameters different from the old house to the new? Maybe one house has a water softener, for example, and the other doesn't?

I'm assuming that mops, plants, hardscape for fry hiding are the same as the old set up. Outside it could be some predator present in your new neighborhood that wasn't in the old one, but that wouldn't explain the indoor problem.

Assuming you kept everything else basically the same, I'd guess the parameters out of the tap are the only real difference.