Vacation Fish Food

Hello, Im going on a trip for 3 weeks and was wondering what foods I should get for my tank. (corydoras and green neons.) I also have some shrimp and was wondering if its ok to feed them expired hikari algae wafers. Also any recommendations on what to feed cherry shrimp? (just one brand)

On 7/6/2024 at 2:34 PM, flossy said:

Hello, Im going on a trip for 3 weeks and was wondering what foods I should get for my tank. (corydoras and green neons.) I also have some shrimp and was wondering if its ok to feed them expired hikari algae wafers. Also any recommendations on what to feed cherry shrimp? (just one brand)

In my opinion, the best way to handle feeding when you're away from home is to arrange for someone to come over. It could be every 3 or 4 days, even, but there's not really any food you can put in a tank to feed it for three weeks.

Ideally you'd have a local fishkeeping friend who knows your fish and tanks, but in the absence of that, I'd suggest getting some of those weekly pill boxes, the ones that say Monday, Tuesday, etc. Fill up the boxes for whichever days your friend is coming over, and give them instructions to put that day's food in the tank.

Ideally they could also make sure there are no leaks, and the filters/heaters/lights are working. I'd probably not ask a non-fishkeeper to do any top-offs, because it's so easy to forget dechlorinator if you never do it, but you might not have a choice over three weeks.

If you can, ask your friend to come over before you leave, so you can demonstrate everything in person and answer any questions.

• Like 3