bugs and weird thing in shrimp tank

yve

hello hope some is able to id this thing circled in blue i have no idea what it is just saw it today. 

also my shrimp tank seem to have alot of bugs(circled in red) slugs and snails(circled in yellow). how to i get rid of them? please help thanks!

IMG_5672.jpeg

IMG_5671.jpeg

IMG_5666.jpeg

On 7/3/2024 at 5:36 AM, Tlindsey said:

If they glide on the glass probably planaria. 

Maybe, but maybe just rhabdocoela or some kind of detritus worm. I've been lucky enough to not see planaria, but it's my understanding that they're pretty visually distinct; that is, if you can't see two distinct eye spots, it's probably not planaria.

On 7/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, johnnyxxl said:

Hydra I believe for the blue

My hydra have that classic tentacle group at the end. These look more like worms to me, but it's hard to know for sure.

My guess -- and it's really a guess -- is that the red-circled bugs are seed shrimp, aka ostrocods.

The only one I'd really worry about is planaria, and even then only if I have a shrimp-only tank. Everything else would just be a sign of a healthy ecosystem and potential food for fish.

I do concede that they can be unsightly, though. Step one for reducing the population of any of them, if you want to, is reduce feeding, if you can, either the amount or the frequency.

• Like 1