UV Sterilizer Recommendation

Hello,

On my 25 gallon tank, I am looking to get a new UV sterilizer. I currently have a hang on back Aqueon filter. In the past I have used a COODIA brand UV sterilizer off Amazon (pictured below). I'm curious if anyone has any other recommendations? I prefer an either hang on back style or one I can introduce into the aquarium.

COODIA.PNG

Posted (edited)

On 7/1/2024 at 8:34 AM, Sandrock14 said:

Has anyone used Aquatop UVs?

I have one filter that looks almost exactly like IF7, but it's not Aquatop brand.  In my experience, this design has issues that are pretty annoying, but it might be just because it's an "imitation" product and not the real thing. 

I have two Weipro UV sterilizers, that I think are better designed. Apart from the suction cups not working after several months (due to the hard water here), these are fine after about four years or so. They warm up water a lot though, have a pretty strong flow, quite inconvenient to clean, but can double as an egg-laying surface :)    

regular-glass-tank-02.jpg.a821814f600db140502c24a1f3b31610.jpg

blood-parrot-mama.jpg.8c1af1845f0c34efa0e9dc9ca453b566.jpg

Edited by Fonske

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 9:20 PM, Fonske said:

I have one filter that looks almost exactly like IF7, but it's not Aquatop brand.  In my experience, this design has issues that are pretty annoying, but it might be just because it's an "imitation" product and not the real thing. 

I have two Weipro UV sterilizers, that I think are better designed. Apart from the suction cups not working after several months (due to the hard water here), these are fine after about four years or so. They warm up water a lot though, have a pretty strong flow, quite inconvenient to clean, but can double as an egg-laying surface 🙂    

regular-glass-tank-02.jpg.a821814f600db140502c24a1f3b31610.jpg

blood-parrot-mama.jpg.8c1af1845f0c34efa0e9dc9ca453b566.jpg

Thank you for the response! I will actually look into Weipro UVs now. I never heard of that brand! And that is a gorgeous Parrotfish. Obviously a happy camper with the eggs 🙂

How long have you had your Weipro UV? I found this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Weipro-Tank-Gallon-TU-700-15-40/dp/B0D35NC5KK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Edited by Sandrock14

On 7/2/2024 at 7:49 AM, Sandrock14 said:

How long have you had your Weipro UV? I found this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Weipro-Tank-Gallon-TU-700-15-40/dp/B0D35NC5KK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

About four years. The one in the link is a different model though,  I have no experience with it so can't tell much about it.
My advice is try to look at the filter you consider in a physical store, if you can; or find a video that shows the inside construction. Cleaning these things might require some effort and care, mine are definitely not easy in that respect. (Also, they are very heavy.)  

On 7/1/2024 at 8:45 PM, Fonske said:

About four years. The one in the link is a different model though,  I have no experience with it so can't tell much about it.
My advice is try to look at the filter you consider in a physical store, if you can; or find a video that shows the inside construction. Cleaning these things might require some effort and care, mine are definitely not easy in that respect. (Also, they are very heavy.)  

Good thinking. I called my LFS and they have some of the AquaTop UV models in stock. Probably this weekend I'm going to go take a gander.

On 7/2/2024 at 3:20 AM, T. Payne said:

Green machine is reliable and works well.

The one off amazon?