Odd situation and fish id help

My wife and another teacher at her school run an animal room together. Recently, the other teacher accepted a fish from a family who said they couldn't care for it. My wife didn't know until days later. The family won't give details on what fish this is. I've never seen this before, but I have a feeling it was caught in a canal or lake. 
   The family donated a 55 gallon tank, stand, and filter for the fish. Now my wife and the other teacher feel obligated to keep it. So, can anyone id this fish? Secondly, how big will this thing get? We're having to buy feeder fish on a regular basis and visit the school on weekends. This feels like it's going to be a big problem. Any help would be appreciated. We live in South Florida if that helps with the id. E05E750C-F84D-401A-8C1F-263D28265E2B.jpeg.a22a29c748c587520321c61e4101697e.jpeg

On 6/30/2024 at 11:23 AM, Scaperoot said:

My wife and another teacher at her school run an animal room together. Recently, the other teacher accepted a fish from a family who said they couldn't care for it. My wife didn't know until days later. The family won't give details on what fish this is. I've never seen this before, but I have a feeling it was caught in a canal or lake. 
   The family donated a 55 gallon tank, stand, and filter for the fish. Now my wife and the other teacher feel obligated to keep it. So, can anyone id this fish? Secondly, how big will this thing get? We're having to buy feeder fish on a regular basis and visit the school on weekends. This feels like it's going to be a big problem. Any help would be appreciated. We live in South Florida if that helps with the id. E05E750C-F84D-401A-8C1F-263D28265E2B.jpeg.a22a29c748c587520321c61e4101697e.jpeg

That is a bass very aggressive. 

On 6/30/2024 at 1:09 PM, Tlindsey said:

Probably a largemouth bass. @Scaperoot

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 1:09 PM, Tlindsey said:

Probably a largemouth bass. @Scaperoot

The largemouth bass can grow 15"-23" in length. Something like 8ft long×4ft wide would be minimal imo. In the wild one bass patrols large area for territory. It's also illegal to release it back to the wild.

The bass can be trained to except non living food for example  pellet brand for cichlid. 

Edited by Tlindsey
Miss spelling
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 6:46 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Hahahahahahaha they gave you a brute. Where in Florida are you? I may know someone that will take it off your hands. No guarantees but you never know. 

The family donated the tank and stand, so we're stuck with it until it gets bigger. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 1:20 PM, Tlindsey said:

. It's also illegal to release it back to the wild.

I can't find anything saying this in Florida fish and game. However if this is a shoal bass and not a largemouth it cannot be kept.

I would release this fish immediately to an appropriate body of water (large pond or stream). Or have a fish fry. This is not an appropriate fish to keep as a pet regardless of which particular black bass species it belongs to

Edited by doktor zhivago
spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s both legal to keep and legal to rerelease back into its native waterway. I would go ahead and rerelease it as others have said bass get quite large and they will eat anything in the tank and become quite territorial 

If it were an invasive species such as pleco or peacock bass you would unfortunately have to euthanize 

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 11:16 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

It’s both legal to keep and legal to rerelease back into its native waterway. I would go ahead and rerelease it as others have said bass get quite large and they will eat anything in the tank and become quite territorial 

If it were an invasive species such as pleco or peacock bass you would unfortunately have to euthanize 

That's good to know it can be released.