Jump to content

Newbie here - biofilm or mold?


Recommended Posts

hiya everyone, i'm a new tank keeper in the community, and i've done extensive research but i also want to stay on the cautious side at times whenever i'm even slightly unsure/doubtful. this is a young (1 month old?) tank with no plants or animals in it just yet. side note, there's also some of the same white stringy substance floating off the heater too, but i'm not sure if my camera picked it up well.

i'm fairly sure its the former, but i still wanted to make sure i had some confirmation. thanks everyone! 🙂

 

IMG_4703.jpeg

IMG_4704.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2024 at 4:18 PM, Saspitite said:

hiya everyone, i'm a new tank keeper in the community, and i've done extensive research but i also want to stay on the cautious side at times whenever i'm even slightly unsure/doubtful. this is a young (1 month old?) tank with no plants or animals in it just yet. side note, there's also some of the same white stringy substance floating off the heater too, but i'm not sure if my camera picked it up well.

i'm fairly sure its the former, but i still wanted to make sure i had some confirmation. thanks everyone! 🙂

 

IMG_4703.jpeg

IMG_4704.jpeg

On the wood looks like fungus. @Saspitite

On 6/29/2024 at 4:43 PM, Tlindsey said:

On the wood looks like fungus. @Saspitite

When I add old branches, small dead stumps something similar will develop on the wood. After a few water changes it's gone. Didn’t harm any fish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2024 at 3:43 PM, Tlindsey said:

On the wood looks like fungus. @Saspitite

When I add old branches, small dead stumps something similar will develop on the wood. After a few water changes it's gone. Didn’t harm any fish.

how can you tell it's a type of fungus? it looks pretty similar to most photos of biofilm colonies i've seen, so if you have any specific ways to tell them apart i'd love to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, Saspitite said:

how can you tell it's a type of fungus? it looks pretty similar to most photos of biofilm colonies i've seen, so if you have any specific ways to tell them apart i'd love to know.

Tbh I'm only describing it the way it looks to me. It could very well been mold.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a accurate analysis. 

 

 

Edited by Tlindsey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depending on the type of wood, a lot of never-before-submerged wood will give off a fuzzy white biofilm, which I think is a microbial population boom as organics leach out of the wood. Biofilm eaters like otocinclus, snails, and shrimp will often eat that stuff, but it'll usually go away on its own in a couple days, too.

Since you don't have any plants or animals in the tank, I'd just leave it alone and see what happens over the next few days.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2024 at 9:04 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Depending on the type of wood, a lot of never-before-submerged wood will give off a fuzzy white biofilm, which I think is a microbial population boom as organics leach out of the wood. Biofilm eaters like otocinclus, snails, and shrimp will often eat that stuff, but it'll usually go away on its own in a couple days, too.

Since you don't have any plants or animals in the tank, I'd just leave it alone and see what happens over the next few days.

thank you! 

i'm pretty sure it's mopani wood (there's also cholla logs in there, as well). i'm aware of how biofilm works in general, and i intend on this tank being a species-only cherry shrimp tank, so seeing that develop is pretty nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...